• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Adam Rogers killer playing on this...

dlguitar64

Jazz is not always about instant gratification.Sometime it takes several listens before the form and harmony become clear and it is like one of those fractal 3d paintings from the 90s where finally see the spaceship pop out of the picture(Mr.Pitt from Seinfeld).Those moments are very exciting to me and i find that often music like this has more long term value then something that is obvious from the first listen.

pinner

Amazing stuff!!! I love Adam. Thanks Scott!! It is different to those used to more of a traditional approach. You almost have to change the way you listen. Sit back and listen to the whole picture. I love it!!!

clintb

Jazz is not always about instant gratification.Sometime it takes several listens before the form and harmony become clear and it is like one of those fractal 3d paintings from the 90s where finally see the spaceship pop out of the picture(Mr.Pitt from Seinfeld).
I was never able to see those images either! I guess I'm screwed! LOL!

Those moments are very exciting to me and i find that often music like this has more long term value then something that is obvious from the first listen.
I can sympathize with that point of view. I guess that's why I tend to like progressive rock more than a lot of pop music. Sometimes pop music is too simple and immediately accessible that I quickly grow bored of it.

jazzgtrl4

i'm really going to start working on my economy picking. i didn't realize just how much adam uses it
Yes this....ive made the switch to economy and have really focused on my techniqe. I dont use Benson picking... Adam makes it look so easyyyy. it just flows.

gawfshot

If you read up on Adam or attend a clinic, he's MOST passionate about classical guitar... and he plays jazz at this level. I wish I could find the adjective!

Jim S

Platinum Supporting Member
I guess I don't "get" this kind of jazz. I can't tell if the band is actually playing a composition or just noodling. I can't tell if the guitar is playing something that goes with the bass part. So I have no idea if he has great harmonic concepts.

I actually like the way it sounds, I just don't understand it.
Ditto.

It's over my head.

projam619

i guess i'm the opposite. while green, martino, and benson are great players, i don't think much of their writing. to me it wasn't until guitar players like metheny, abercrombie, and ralph towner came along that the overall level of composition caught up to the level of the playing (even though there are some wes montgomery tunes that i really dig!)
That's a good point. I guess its just personal taste. For some reason, I never could get into ECM jazz, Frisell's stuff (though his playing is obviously topnotch), even much of Metheny's catalog. Precisely the stuff that would wield strong influence upon the newer modern guys. In terms of composition, I don't have the ears for this stuff; perhaps an epiphany awaits in the future.

jb70

Silver Supporting Member
That's a good point. I guess its just personal taste. For some reason, I never could get into ECM jazz
yeah, it just comes down to personal taste. some of my favorite music ever has been released on the ECM label and most of the modern jazz guitar players have been influenced by that music. that early metheny, frisell, abercrombie, towner, and bass desires (sco and frisell) music changed my life.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom