Adam Savage visits SF theatre to check out live mixing for a show

louderock

Neat. That's the same console used by a lot of touring bands. This dude's gig takes an amazing amount of focus to chase all those mics around. Generally on a concert stage, the mics all just stay on unless you have an entire song with no acoustic guitar for instance.

rednoise

Neat. That's the same console used by a lot of touring bands. This dude's gig takes an amazing amount of focus to chase all those mics around. Generally on a concert stage, the mics all just stay on unless you have an entire song with no acoustic guitar for instance.
An interesting part was how the sound guy will manually unmute the delay to capture just a single word or phrase. More of a studio effect, but it's practical to do it live now. I remember some '70s rock concerts (I have Led Zeppelin in mind) where they would attempt similar effects, but they would inevitably capture the wrong sample, or it would be swamped with other noise bleeding into the mic. Theatrical sound mixers tend to be more controlled now and they're probably not off smoking a doobie between cues.

An interesting part was how the sound guy will manually unmute the delay to capture just a single word or phrase. More of a studio effect, but it's practical to do it live now. I remember some '70s rock concerts (I have Led Zeppelin in mind) where they would attempt similar effects, but they would inevitably capture the wrong sample, or it would be swamped with other noise bleeding into the mic. Theatrical sound mixers tend to be more controlled now and they're probably not off smoking a doobie between cues.

Yeah the engineer needs to have the dexterity of a cat, in the words of Arthur Spooner:

"I tell you, darling, for a big man, he moves on cat's feet"

Trending Topics