Adam's Apple (BF Vibro Champ)

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by ScottB, Jul 3, 2006.

1. ScottB

ScottB Gold Supporting Member

2. KHK

KHK Silver Supporting Member

It certainly does give you that Joe Walsh'y et al 70's thing... to my ears anyway. What were the relative settings for the amp and TS9?
    Thanks for posting the clip.

3. ScottB

Thanks for listening. I had fun doing this.

Amp: Vol - 10, Treb - 8.8, Bass - 6.5
    TS9 (solo): Tone - 9 o'clock, Drive - 12, Level - 2.

The lead harmony settings on the TS9 were a little different, level and drive both a little lower and tone more like 11, I think. Actually, I think I tweaked the tone when I went to the neck pickup for the beginnning of the second half of the solo. It was probably more like 11 for the first half of the solo, too.

The rhythm parts were the amp alone, no effects.

4. erksin

erksin Member

Wow - what tubes are in yours? My '65 BFVC gets nowhere near that level of breakup...

5. ScottB

It came with a Mazda 6V6 and a Telefunken 12AX7. I had an Ei in the pre-slot and it broke up even more. I went back to the Telefunken for the recording for clarity and also, in my experience the recorded tone always sounds more distorted than what you hear in the room, so I was backing off a little to get the sound that was in my head. I think some of the innards may have been rebuilt, maybe that would explain it. I'll try to get a picture and post later. We're going for a high-country hike today and soon my wife (and dogs) will begin taking out the big guns...Also, it has a Weber AlNiCo 8" speaker, not the original Oxford.

I've also tried an RCA grey plate and a Marconi in the power slot. The Mazda is intermediate between the two. The RCA sounds great (even more gainy) except it has a little bit of a farty quality on the decay (I bought a lot of these on ebay really cheap - unknown old stock - I think they may be a little gassy).

6. msrecprod

msrecprod Member

I really liked the tone on that clip. The CS505 your refering to on the harmonies, is that the Maxon chorus pedal of something else? Thanks

7. ScottB

Thanks. That's a vintage Ibanez (so I'm assuming it was made by Maxon) with the square switch. It was the chorus in the pedal line that included the original TS808.

8. msrecprod

msrecprod Member

Were you using the keeley on the Harm. with the Chorus Pedal?

9. ScottB

Yes.

The rhythm parts were un-effected. The harmonies were the Keeley with light gain and the CS505 and the lead part was the Keeley with a little more gain and no chorus.