ADAT input and preamp ???

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Occam, May 22, 2015.

1. Occam

Occam Member

i recently bought a UAD Apollo Duo and there's an input to add 8 more channels for 10 total via the ADAT connection...what does that ADAT unit look like and what are they called? Is there even a distinct unit or is it just any preamp with an ADAT out? Do the preamps on that really matter if I'm just running it into the UAD?

2. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

ADAT optical appeared on the Alesis ADAT 8-channel recorders as a means of transferring 8 channels of digital audio between 2 or more ADAT recorders. It became a convenient format for transmitting 8 channels at a time of digital audio between mic pres and audio interfaces.

The preamp quality does matter as the amplification and A/D conversion happens in the preamp, not in the UAD. Having said that, even some of the cheaper pres with ADAT output (*cough* Behringer *cough*) are good enough for most hobbyist use.

3. ronzie

ronzie Supporting Member

Scott is correct. Just to add and help clarify.

It's called an Adat Bridge. But you don't need that(long in the tooth), being that the Adat optical became a standard protocol for multiplexing digital audio. "Mux"(multiplexing) in todays sense, buys you 8 channels at 24 bit/44.1 & 48k. S/MUX buys you the former, but also gives you the ability to do 4 channels
    @ higher sample rates, such as 88.2 & 96K. The Apollo, as you may have noticed is S/MUX, as most of todays designs are.

4. Occam

Occam Member

So any preamp with the ADAT line out will work?

5. ronzie

ronzie Supporting Member

^^^
    Yep. But I myself would look for a unit that has 8 channels and does S/MUX, like a Presonus,Focusrite,Motu,RME etc.
    The usual suspects.