ADAT vs ProTools recording

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Rev2S, May 15, 2006.

1. Rev2S

Rev2S Member

Take a left on Hudgens Rd, then a right on....
    Hi. My band is doing a live recording and I am wondering which is the better way to go. Option #1: ADAT HD24 from a Allen & Heath board or Option #2: ProTools from the Allen & Heath board. The ProTools option will cost about $3000 more. I was also wondering if there will be a big loss in quality using the ADAT to justify paying $3000 more for the ProTools.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Member

Do you know which Pro Tools Rig it is & which converters?

3. Rev2S

Rev2S Member

ProTools that the guy would be using is the LE version. The ADAT HD24 would be using light pipe to bump it down to a workable format.

Thanks!

4. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Member

I never did an A/B between recording on ADAT HD24 and an 001/002 but I've recorded on all three and also stayed at a Holiday Inn. Doing a full band they'll need some type of external A/D to get the entire band into Pro Tools...unless he's going to use the ADAT HD24 as the front end for PTLE. Not knowing which converters or any other particulars unless it's some type of gourmet A/D I'd say save the 3K and track on ADAT HD24.

You got to figure in some studio time transferring the stuff afterwards but still...YMMV.
    Not unless he's got some boutique converters and also mic pres that he's only going to use with PTLE and not ADAT HD24.

good luck

5. johnnyguitar

johnnyguitar Long in the tooth Silver Supporting Member

Why would Pro Tools LE 24 tracks cost 3K more than the $1200 ADAT option???

6. Rev2S

Rev2S Member

Quote: Why would Pro Tools LE 24 tracks cost 3K more than the $1200 ADAT option???

Haha...I read what I wrote and I was probably not the clearest. One engineer we are thinking about hiring would be using ProTools LE on his laptop plus a few other gadgets going into the board and would charge $3000 for his services....to record what we are playing over several nights. Another engineer we could hire (the in-house engineer/sound guy) would be using the in-house ADAT HD24 into the board for recording....he is getting paid by someone else to do sound so recording what we do is no big deal. Plus, he wouldn't charge us to record on ADAT. The only fees are him bumping it down to a format to be manipulated later in the studio when mixing/mastering.

I guess since there wouldn't be a big signal loss in the transfer, ADAT will be the way to go. I will save myself $3k.

Thanks!