Add Floyd Rose Tremolo?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Crankston Shnord, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Crankston Shnord

Crankston Shnord Active Member

So I got an ESP M-50 a while back. It plays great, but I was thinking of swapping the standard tremolo for a Floyd Rose. I have a wood shop and am confident that I could do the swap myself. Where can I find instructions/guidelines/router templates to do this? I've looked around online, but not found anything helpful as of yet. The guitar is pictured below, just to give ya'll a scope of the idea.

[​IMG]

2. BedroomRockStar01

BedroomRockStar01 Supporting Member

Dumb question probably, but have you searched Youtube? It tends to be the go-to place for guides these days.

If you're looking for a more functional trem that stays in tune, there are better options out there than a Floyd Rose, unless you absolutely need the divebomb Van Halen effects. In that case, you'll probably want to stick with the floyd rose.

3. dave_mc

dave_mc Member

not worth it, basically.

that guitar is fairly cheap (a decent floyd will cost almost as much), and fitting a floyd would involve a lot of bodywork (also expensive)

4. GtarMkrJed

GtarMkrJed Member

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  5. dave_mc

dave_mc Member

it's a false economy getting a cheap one

plus i mean if he doesn't even know that his current trem is a 6-point while a floyd is 2-point, i'm guessing (could be wrong, he might be a badass at non-guitar-related diy/carpentry) he doesn't want to mess with routing and so would have to pay someone to do it.

6. s2y

s2y Member

You'd also need to be able to route the nut for a lock nut otherwise a Floyd Rose is basically worthless.

7. Crankston Shnord

Nothing personal, but ya'll should keep in mind that I wasn't asking for an opinion on whether or not adding the tremolo was a good idea, I was asking if there was someplace I could find information on it. With the exceptions of "BedroomRockStar01" and "GtarMkrJed" everyone seems more inclined to tell me what an idiot I am than to give me any kind of useful advice. I know the basic process, I know what is required. No offense, but telling me what my problem is really isn't too helpful. :) I'm looking for a solution.

8. dave_mc

dave_mc Member

^ i wasn't trying to be rude, or imply you're an idiot, or anything like that. I was merely trying to give you advice to the effect that, in my opinion, it's not worth the bother. it'll end up costing you close to what buying a (better) guitar which already has a floyd rose will. and will be a fair bit of work.

just because it's not what you want to hear doesn't mean it's bad advice. I think it's a bad idea. And I love Floyds. A solution would be to buy a guitar with a (good) floyd rose already attached.

yeah, that too EDIT: well... i don't know about worthless. I guess you could try to get by with locking tuners. but they're going to up the price, too.

9. Crankston Shnord

Perhaps I should have given more details about the situation at the start. This is not a stock LTD M-50. I cannot simply shell out a few hundred for a new one. I understand that replacing the tremolo would be difficult and costly, but I'm not doing it for monetary gain. Thank you for your suggestions.

10. s2y

s2y Member

How much does the guitar you want with a trem cost? how much does does a Floyd rose cost? How much would it cost if you sold this guitar and got the one with a Floyd rose?

11. SteveO

SteveO Member

Sometimes getting there is half the fun... :)

12. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

Ohferchrissakes.

There are templates from all kinds of sources for routing the body for a Floyd, including from Floyd Rose: http://www.floydrose.com/bridges/routingtemplates/Routing_FloydRosePro.php .

[​IMG][​IMG]

It's a flat body and should be a piece of cake. I'm willing to say that I could probably do it myself, and I'm not the greatest woodworker on the planet. I've certainly seen it done enough times and have never seen much blood or heard much in the way of "Oops!" or "Oh, DAMN!" during the process.

Floyds and their cousins both new and used are available at all kinds of prices all over eBay and elsewhere, and installing one after you've done the routing is trivial. Setting it up well gets a bit tweaky, but there's all kinds of help for that, both online and in the local guitar shops.

Routing the shelf on the neck for the floyd locking nut is probably the scariest thing for me,

[​IMG][​IMG]

but you really don't even have to do that if you don't want to. I expect that you could simply get one of the Kahler behind-the-nut string locks to handle that.
    [​IMG]
    I've had these on Kahler-equipped guitars for 20+ years, and they work just fine; there's not enough string between the nut and the string lock to get caught on anything and tossed out of tune, so they work pretty much as well as the Floyd locking nuts do.

13. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

14. Crankston Shnord

*facepalm* Let's just pretend that I can do the whole thing for free, and let's forget my motives and focus on the question at hand :) Please!!

But to answer your questions: I don't want another guitar with this trem, but to get a decent ESP you're looking at about $500. That however, is irrelevant, because the point is that I want this particular guitar to have the trem.

I already have a Floyd Rose on hand to install, so it will cost me nothing (except for templates for my router).

If I sold the guitar, I might be able to get $200 for it, but it's worth more than that to me because of particular mods and fixes for my sound.

15. Crankston Shnord

@ dspellman I'll have a look!! Thanks!!

16. Multi Angle Vise

Multi Angle Vise Member

Well I see the templates have already been supplied.

I found these two pages useful when I did it last year:

http://www.georgemangos.com/floyd/index.htm

http://www.kramerforum.com/floydrose/

Here's a picture of the victim halfway through the process. It's actually a lot easier than you'd think, and if you've got your own wood shop I'm sure it'd be like going for a piss.

[​IMG]

Edit:

The Floyd Rose site itself was empty for a long time, but it's got a lot of technical information now, also the Schaller site (the manufacturer) has really good technical drawings of all the nut variations (and their bridges, can't remember if it has the OFR drawings or not).

17. Crankston Shnord

@ Multi Angle Vise That is perfect!! Thanks!! And nice paint BTW

I'll post a picture for you guys when I get it swapped out.

18. RBfan

RBfan Member

Definitely check out the Kramer site - good call on that. I have an old Focus with an OFR & I found lots of good information there about using it, setting it up, etc. Just a quick note - & you may very well already know this... Setting up a guitar with an FR will test the patience; somewhere on that site I found a couple of pretty good ideas about holding the bridge in place while stringing up & adjusting the springs & claw in back. This is somewhat in opposition to what you will find on the FR site.

Once you have it set up though, assuming you don't change string brands & guages much it will stay pretty well in tune. Again, I imagine you already know this, but finding that thread discussing holding the bridge in place during set-up really proved helpful to me.

T

19. dave_mc

dave_mc Member

ah ok

yeah, as already has been posted, there are templates on the floyd rose site