Add line inputs to MOTU Track16 via optical?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by randombastage, Mar 7, 2015.

1. randombastage

randombastage Member

I see options for adding 8 mic inputs but I need to send some more line inputs into the Track 16. Is there a box ready made for that purpose?
    It is capable of all three versions of ADAT optical if I understand that correctly.

And on a related note...does the optical connection on the Track 16 allow for inputs and outputs? Does Cue Mix accommodate them if so?

2. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

3. Devnor

Devnor Member

I use a Focusrite Octopre Mk II to connect four stereo pairs from my synthesizers to a Fireface 800 via ADAT. It was super easy to setup and sounds great.

4. randombastage

randombastage Member

Thanks for the help!
    I'm new to this stuff so I'll try to learn quick, please pardon the inevitable dumb question...

Do you say any of the 8 channel pre's should work because they have some kind of pad to cut the input? I was assuming you can't put a line level into a mic pre because of that mismatch and that the trim function couldn't drop the level far enough but if it is common that they have a pad that drops it low enough then that is great.

edited to remove one dumb question after looking up the Focusrite Octopre MkII mentioned above...it has outputs! Sweet!

Is the 10db pad on the Octopre enough to make the mic pre inputs play nice with the output of something like a guitar preamp line level sent into them?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  5. Devnor

Devnor Member

The first 2 inputs are line level. For the rest, I just watch my levels on 3-8. All synths connected to these are line level.
    The outputs on Octopre mirror the signals coming into its inputs. You can't use those to expand output channels from your DAW.