Adding 22nd fret to a tele?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Noah, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Noah

Noah Member

I have a few teles that I like, but they only have 21 frets and I'd like to add another fret to make them 22 frets. A lot of the songs I've recorded have some licks that are impossible to play without that extra fret. Dave Kilminsters paisley tele also looks like it was modified to have that extra fret.
    Is this fairly easy to do?

2. mr coffee

mr coffee Gold Supporting Member

the added 22 fret is on an "overhang" over the guard

3. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

The short answer is "Yes, and No".

Yes if you're willing to replace the neck w/ a 22 fret model that fits your body, then Yes, it's not too hard - just costs a couple hunderd bucks.

And No: Modding the existing neck would be expensive and time consuming. Since there isn't room for another fret on the existing fretboard you'd have to remove the current fretboard, make a new one with an overhang, and then you'd have to fret that new fretboard. Very expensive project.

So replacing the neck is the only solution that makes sense to me. You'd have to measure carefully to make sure the replacement neck fit correctly into the existing body's neck pocket and that the thickness was right..

I don't know who akes a 22 fret Tele neck, but I'd try the usual suspects: Warmouth, USACG etc.

Hope this helps, Dana O.

4. Noah

Noah Member

Thanks very much. Not the answer I was hoping for, but very helpful!

5. alltone

alltone Member

I have added a 24'th..gives you the octave at least. A small diameter allen (hex) key cut to length and placed on the neck pickup with CRAZY GLUE. Depending on the pickup, it usually sits nicely on the cover in front of the pole pieces.For what it's worth...