Adding a 2nd tier to Pedaltrain

PFDarkside

Has anyone added a 2nd tier to a Pedaltrain? Something that lifts off, flips, slides, etc.? I'm looking to add a little more space to a Pedaltrain Pro, now that I'm adding an ES-8 and DB11 Loop Expander. Maybe even an add-on that makes it function like those boards GigRig uses/shows.

In EytchPi42's ridiculous YouTube video he added a Metro 24 to a Terra, but it was bolted down, not the best solution if you want to have at least a little access to the lower tier pedals, and moving it becomes much more difficult.

Just curious if anyone has done anything like this.

Paleolith54

Has anyone added a 2nd tier to a Pedaltrain? Something that lifts off, flips, slides, etc.? I'm looking to add a little more space to a Pedaltrain Pro, now that I'm adding an ES-8 and DB11 Loop Expander. Maybe even an add-on that makes it function like those boards GigRig uses/shows.

In EytchPi42's ridiculous YouTube video he added a Metro 24 to a Terra, but it was bolted down, not the best solution if you want to have at least a little access to the lower tier pedals, and moving it becomes much more difficult.

Just curious if anyone has done anything like this.
I've used inch-thick planking before, worked great. Cut it, paint it black, add Velcro, slap it on and put pedals on it. You can also, of course, cut smaller pedal-sized ones too.

ColonelForbin

Pedaltrain makes these booster / pedal riser kits; Guessing you could velcro them on instead of drilling for screws. I've got a couple, but haven't put them on my board yet.

Edit - never mind, I think you are looking to put pedals under other pedals; you probably can't make that work with these..

http://www.pedaltrain.com/booster/

PFDarkside

Any other ideas? I've got a PT mini here as well that might work as the second level, but looking for ideas how to add it.

jaime136

Seems like this didn't get much traction. I'm rebuilding a direct board that was originally on a Classic 2. I'm going to add another layer with a Metro 24 on top of it to hold a Blackbird Pre-amp and 2 Notes Torpedo Cab, which are tremendous space hogs. The Metro will have to clear an Eventide H9 which is about 4 inches tall. I'm waiting on the board to get here to start sizing up mounting options. I assume it's going to consist of hinges drilled into the backs of the boards and assembled with wing nuts, so they can be easily popped of and put in their respective soft cases. I'll also need to add some taller rubber feet on the bottom to get the necessary clearance. I'll update this after the board gets here and I wander around the hardware store and see what the options are.

It would probably been easier just to buy a bigger board, but what's the fun in that?

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
Many places sell wooden or metal risers for the 2nd row of pedals.

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
I use the PT risers, and they work great, but I understand you want another tier. I'm just wondering if you ever plan to transport this new board, what will you carry it in? It sounds like it would be huge. Some of my tall back row pedals barely allow the PT hardcase to shut. A second tier is going to make that thing really tall.

feet

Gold Supporting Member
since the height/not tilted-ness of the pt nano makes it a little awkward to use the looper, i've experimented with just putting it on the floor. maybe try that. :p

Meriphew

Either get a bigger board, or add a smaller 2nd board and move some pedals to it. The PT Pro is already a major PITA to gig with. I can't imagine using it, or anything larger if you actually have to transport it. I stopped using my Pro after I gigged with it a couple times.

Clark GriswoId

Looks Great. Little Full, Lotta Sap.
Silver Supporting Member
Either get a bigger board, or add a smaller 2nd board and move some pedals to it. The PT Pro is already a major PITA to gig with. I can't imagine using it, or anything larger if you actually have to transport it. I stopped using my Pro after I gigged with it a couple times.
I concur, PT pro is a pain to lug around but everything fots so nicely on it.

I can't even fit taller pedals on the back row of a PT-PRO and get the lid to shut without removing foam... I can't imagine adding much of a riser. I think cutting a few blocks from cheap mdf or pine to raise a pedal up a quarter or half inch is all I need to reach the back row.

Meriphew

I can't even fit taller pedals on the back row of a PT-PRO and get the lid to shut without removing foam... I can't imagine adding much of a riser. I think cutting a few blocks from cheap mdf or pine to raise a pedal up a quarter or half inch is all I need to reach the back row.
True. I currently have 4 Pedaltrain boards (all with hard case). They are already very snug as is when closing/latching the case.

PFDarkside

I missed the extra responses, thanks for the ideas.

If a second tier is added, it would be modular. Lift off to fit in a second gigbag and only require two 1/4" connections and a daisy chain to the main board.

Seems like this didn't get much traction. I'm rebuilding a direct board that was originally on a Classic 2. I'm going to add another layer with a Metro 24 on top of it to hold a Blackbird Pre-amp and 2 Notes Torpedo Cab, which are tremendous space hogs. The Metro will have to clear an Eventide H9 which is about 4 inches tall. I'm waiting on the board to get here to start sizing up mounting options. I assume it's going to consist of hinges drilled into the backs of the boards and assembled with wing nuts, so they can be easily popped of and put in their respective soft cases. I'll also need to add some taller rubber feet on the bottom to get the necessary clearance. I'll update this after the board gets here and I wander around the hardware store and see what the options are.

It would probably been easier just to buy a bigger board, but what's the fun in that?
Did you end up getting the boards and visiting the hardware store? Any additional plans? :)

If you've got that many pedals just get a Pedaltrain Terra
Maybe... The pro worked so well pre-ES8!

jaime136

I missed the extra responses, thanks for the ideas.

If a second tier is added, it would be modular. Lift off to fit in a second gigbag and only require two 1/4" connections and a daisy chain to the main board.

Did you end up getting the boards and visiting the hardware store? Any additional plans? :)

Maybe... The pro worked so well pre-ES8!
The Metro 24 board and extra power supply came in the day before I left for a ski trip! Haven't had a chance to come up with a concrete plan just yet. I'm probably going to swap out a Boss ES8 for my ES5. I'll be back home on Monday and will start in earnest then. I'll update the thread when i get started.

jaime136

Okay, finally got home from vacation and got everything in. I need to re-organize the layout a little bit because I did switch out the ES-5 for the larger ES-8 and figure out how to run the power the most efficiently.

Right now, I'm investigating hinges, L-brackets, and things of that nature. I do believe I'm going to need to get some taller feet for added stability on the top row, but my local hardware didn't have anything appropriate.

Should I start another thread or keep it here? I certainly don't want to hijack your thread.

PFDarkside

Have you worked anything out? I've been busy with life so I still have a pile of connectors and a spool of cable sitting next to a random assortment of pedals.

Okay, finally got home from vacation and got everything in. I need to re-organize the layout a little bit because I did switch out the ES-5 for the larger ES-8 and figure out how to run the power the most efficiently.

Right now, I'm investigating hinges, L-brackets, and things of that nature. I do believe I'm going to need to get some taller feet for added stability on the top row, but my local hardware didn't have anything appropriate.

Should I start another thread or keep it here? I certainly don't want to hijack your thread.

Trending Topics