Adding a couple things to my board ...where to place the buffer?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jake5, Feb 10, 2012.

1. jake5

jake5 Supporting Member

my current chain is:

TC POLYTUNE / WILSON 12 POS WAH / FOXROX OCTRON / 3 LEAF PROTON ENVELOPE / KINGSLEY JOUSTER / ANALOGMAN KOT / PAUL C. TIM / NEO VENTILATOR (LESLIE) / STRYMON TIMELINE (DELAY).

I'm also looking to possibly add a Catalinbread Silver Kiss OD in the chain that I just picked up.

THe main questions is where should I put my Cusack More Louder buffer / clean boost in the chain.

Secondly...does anyone have any suggestions on things they might change in the way I've got my chain setup?

Last question...how would you guys organize these 4 dirt pedals? Jouster, Tim, KOT, and Silver Kiss?

Thoughts? Feedback? It's all much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jake

2. jake5

jake5 Supporting Member

c'mon somebody???

3. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

I would put the ventilator last. As far as the boost, it depends what you want to do with it. Always on? Put it first. Clean boost, put it right after overdrives. Boost your OD's, put it after the 3 leaf.

4. Farbulous

Farbulous Member

I like to put my dirt pedals in descending order with relation to gain. In other words - my highest gain pedal is closest to my guitar and the pedal with the least gain (Tim/Timmy) is furthest down the chain, than way anything that comes later down the line is applying a little color to the earlier pedal, which is good when you want to use the Tim/Timmy to goose another dirt pedal.

The buffer should go either after the wah or at the very end of your chain.

5. jake5

jake5 Supporting Member

I'm using the Cusack More Louder as a buffer more than a clean boost...so it won't be on most of the time...so when you say at the very end of the chain...you mean after the Timeline?

6. jbright44

jbright44 Member

If you're just using it as a buffer, and you're not going to use it as a clean boost then I would say put it after your wah. The whole point of a buffer is so that you are feeding your guitar into a fixed high impedance load to avoid that "blanket over the amp" high end roll off you get when running the guitar through a very long cable.

If you're not using the clean boost feature at all, then why don't you get something like the T1M mini buffer. It costs $40.00, is always on and will do exactly what you're wanting.

That seems to make a little more sense to me.

7. jake5

jake5 Supporting Member

I'd like to use it as a clean boost as well...and will, one question on this...the wah has a buffer in it so it will be friendly w/ fuzzes...does this make matter if I place it after wah?

8. tibbon

tibbon Member

If the wah already has a buffer in it... why do you need another buffer again? What problem are you experiencing that you're hoping it will rectify?

9. jake5

jake5 Supporting Member

Just seems like clean is not as good as it is straight into the amp...plus, I'm running 9 pedals...and two twenty foot cables---sometimes 3 when I run stereo.

Also, is the buffer in the wah really the same type of buffer? Here's the brief description on Wilson's website...

Cleanable 200k ICAR tapered pot.
    Standard Fuzz Buffer with Volume Control.

Sorry if these questions are just idiotic. I'm a guitar player and songwriter, not a techie whatsoever :)

10. jbright44

jbright44 Member

I really depends on what kind of input impedance you're getting with the wah. You're best bet would be to put the more louder at the end of your signal chain to use it as a boost and then get the T1M buffer and put it after your wah. That should clean up the tone a good bit. Plus, the T1M buffer is so cheap...

11. jkokura

jkokura Member

Turn the buffer on in your tuner. You don't need another buffer, you have several that are just fine already.

Jacob

12. jbright44

jbright44 Member

The Polytune is true bypass and besides the input impedance is only 500 kOhm. That's not quite enough to be an effective buffer, even if he left it on while playing.

13. jkokura

jkokura Member

My apologies. I thought that like some other tone print pedals there was a switchable buffer.

Jacob