Adding a cymbal to my existing kit?

Fretsalot

Update: After more reading and research, I'm going to follow the suggestion above and tryout some cymbals. I have time off next week, so I'm hoping to visit GC and try out some Zildjian A's from either the Rock; Custom; and/or Sweet Ride cymbal packs.

My musical tastes range from 60's through present soft/pop/hard rock. If someone has a strong opinion of one of those cymbal packs being the best fit for my tastes, I'd like to hear it.

I'm also open to similar ideas from other cymbal manufacturers. I will admit to some favoratism towards the Zildjian brand long before I ever had a drum kit, due simply to name recognition and a seemingly solid reputation.

Fretsalot/Scott

wraub

Update: After more reading and research, I'm going to follow the suggestion above and tryout some cymbals. I have time off next week, so I'm hoping to visit GC and try out some Zildjian A's from either the Rock; Custom; and/or Sweet Ride cymbal packs.

My musical tastes range from 60's through present soft/pop/hard rock. If someone has a strong opinion of one of those cymbal packs being the best fit for my tastes, I'd like to hear it.

I'm also open to similar ideas from other cymbal manufacturers. I will admit to some favoratism towards the Zildjian brand long before I ever had a drum kit, due simply to name recognition and a seemingly solid reputation.

Fretsalot/Scott
I realized pretty quickly that, largely due to familiarity from years of music listening, the Zildjian A was the sound I wanted. After starting with ZHT and ZBT cymbals that were okay, the first old A i heard in person completely sold me and my search began. Fortunately they are pretty common and pretty easily found.

If you have pawn shops and thrift stores you can check regularly that really helps. I got 3 of my old As (on different visits) at one pawn shop (along with a Ludwig snare drum), and got a 20" Zildjian & Cie at a thrift store. The previous ZHTs and ZBTs were from a different pawn shop. Lots of deals to be found- bring cash and do as much research about what you want as possible so can look for the undiscovered (like the Z&c cymbal at the thrift store, the stamp is so faint it's almost invisible, you really had to look to see it, but I did and the cymbal was $17.99.)
Also, be ready for the unexpected- that's how I got that Ludwig snare drum.

Ultimately, you want to hear as many possibilities as you can to decide what you really like best... you may totally dig the difference offered by Paiste for instance, but imo they're brighter sounding than I prefer for home use. Ymmv, of course.

Fretsalot

Update: went to GC this morning. I was able to try the (Zildjian) A Custom 16" crash***, A Medium Thin 16" Crash, A Custom 18" crash, A Medium Thin 18" crash, and A 21" Sweet Ride, along with the some Paiste 2002 16" & 18" Crash. Only the high-hats for the A Custom set was available, but I didn't ask for them to be put in a high-hat stand to try out as there would have been nothing to compare them to. No other Z. high-hats were on the sample stands.

I thought I liked the A Customs most at first, but the A Medium Thins seemed more... substantial. The 2002's didn't sound bad either. They did sound... different. The A Medium Thins had a overtone quality I couldn't hear with the others. Don't know if it was real or some sort of reverberation to some other cymbal. I can't say I came away with a clear opinion of a favorite. I think I could live with any of the three, but if I had to order them in most to least favorite, maybe Medium Thins (Z. A's Rock set), Paiste 2002's, then A Customs. The A Customs seemed to have a thinner sound than the other two. The Paiste 2002's did seem a bit more... gong'y? I don't anything about the 2002's, so I don't know how they stack up in cymbal lines. I wouldn't say I have a developed ear, so if someone can point out the pluses & minuses tone-wise in those three offerings, I appreciate it.

*** LOL... sigh... When I arrived some guy was hitting cymbals and talking to himself - ALOT. So I waited for him to clear the room. While I'm trying out cymbals he reappears with a GC guy and without saying a word to me, they step directly in front of me to get an inventory tag off the A Custom 16" crash. I have to wait for them to move now. They get the tag number using their phone and leave the room. I go back to trying out the cymbals only to have the GC emp return & step directly in front of me again, without a word, and no eye contact whatsoever, he removes said cymbal now making my cymbal testing down a cymbal. WTF!

Fretsalot/Scott

Last edited:

RippedJeans

I have a Zildjian 16 inch A Custom Crash and I can't bond with it. I've had it for two years. But I put it on my kit and I can work with it as a 2nd crash cymbal.

I like ZBT's. In my opinion they are not cheap cymbals, more intermediated grade. An 18 inch crash might be good, look at the 14 inch crash also. Listen to some china cymbals too, they make a nice crash sound. Listen to cymbals on Youtube videos.

Cymbals are a hard decision. There are lots of different cymbals and they all sound different.

Fretsalot

Well, after more reading & research, and listening to YT vids, I made an offer on a set of new, unopened Z. A's (rock) A801R's on *bay that I figured was too low as to be rejected but was accepted. So just wait for delivery now.

Thanks to all who provided feedback,

Fretsalot/Scott

wraub

Well, after more reading & research, and listening to YT vids, I made an offer on a set of new, unopened Z. A's (rock) A801R's on *bay that I figured was too low as to be rejected but was accepted. So just wait for delivery now.

Thanks to all who provided feedback,

Fretsalot/Scott

The As I have work for a wide variety of situations, and they always sound good. I think you should be very pleased.
Congrats on the new tins. :D

mattthehoople

The A’s are fairly loud to my ears. I have Paiste cymbals, 22” Traditional Ride, 17” Masters Dark crash, 18” Swiss Crash and 15” Masters Dark hi hats. But these are for studio use, more like 70’s stoner music with jazz drum grooves, and that 22 Traditional Light Ride is unreal under the overheads as well as on the throne.

Fretsalot

Follow-up: I've had a chance to play everything from my new Zildjian A Rock cymbal pack with the exception of the 19" medium thin crash (waiting on a new stand). My first impressions are how much more refined(?) & lush(?), and the sustain they have compared to the ZBT's they replaced. One thing that was interesting & surprising is they don't seem as loud as the ZBT's. Not sure why, but for some reason I thought they would be louder than the ZBT's. :)

Trivia: I get a kick out of watching them oscillate after I hit strike them. They way they do it is different and kind of mesmerizing to me right now, for some reason. o_O

Fretsalot/Scott

Last edited:

Weathered

Silver Supporting Member
It may be that they're less harsh sounding, which helps them not seem so loud. I know that when I went from Sabian XS to Zildjian K, I had a similar experience - I know that the K series is thought of as a quieter cymbal but it's also much more pleasant to listen to.

Fretsalot

It may be that they're less harsh sounding, which helps them not seem so loud. I know that when I went from Sabian XS to Zildjian K, I had a similar experience - I know that the K series is thought of as a quieter cymbal but it's also much more pleasant to listen to.
I think you're right, last night when I was pondering this some more, I thought my new A's were... 'easier to listen to' ... than my ZBT's.

My new cymbal stand just arrived this morning, so I was able to give the 19" a few hits. The addition of the new stand & cymbal are showing me a few details to tidy up in term of the ergonomics of my set-up, so I'll work on those things later today.

Fretsalot/Scott

wraub

Good to hear you are enjoying the new cymbals. Agreed with above about less harsh sounding quieter, psychoacoustics is a fun zone. :D

I find As to sound good in a very wide spectrum of musical styles, they work in lots of genres. When I went from my ZHT/ZBT setup to the first old As I got I really noticed an improvement in the way I sounded, a lot cleaner but more lush and just more refined and precise imo.

Now that you have a set you can explore possibilities for similar or contrasting types. I went with similar so I quickly found a nice setup, but could have embraced contrast and quickly made a set of "other". All options are valid, one of the great things about drums imo.

Congrats again on the new stuff... Post a pic if you want. :)

Fretsalot

Alrighty, I present to you...

20220328_112338.jpg
20220328_112324.jpg
20220328_112239.jpg

wraub

Good looking set. :) Looks like those heads have seen some use, the snare one especially. Nice. :)

Mine is set up in the bedroom too. :D

Unfortunately I had to face it to towards a wall so I have never actually seen it yet from the front side. Mine is also a Yamaha, MIJ and basically a Stage Custom but before they were called that. M It has the high-tension lugs like yours, but it's black.

What are your sizes?

Fretsalot

Good looking set. :) Looks like those heads have seen some use, the snare one especially. Nice. :)

Mine is set up in the bedroom too. :D

Unfortunately I had to face it to towards a wall so I have never actually seen it yet from the front side. Mine is also a Yamaha, MIJ and basically a Stage Custom but before they were called that. M It has the high-tension lugs like yours, but it's black.

What are your sizes?
Thanks!

The tom heads were lightly used when I bought the set - the snare head was brand new at time of purchase. It was going along fine. My drummer friend who was my drum-purchase-guide gave me a drum stick pouch with a variety of new stick pairs in it that he created from a large batch of drum stuff he was given/gifted. About two months ago, I decided to try out a brand new pair of 7A's just to see what they were like, since I noticed they were lighter, and more petite. 98.6% of the wear on the snare head came from those 7A's, it seems. The snare head looked great despite my having used the same two used pair of sticks on the kit since I bought them. The seller of the kit gave me a heavily used set of rubber coated handled 5B's(?) that I use on days when I seem to have intermittent grip problems. On the days I don't have any trouble hanging onto the sticks, I use a regular ol' plain set of 5B's. I put alot of mileage on those sticks and heads that way. I have many pairs of new sticks I haven't begun to use,
thanks to the generousity of my friend.

I have on old house with small bedrooms! I enjoyed having them in my finished, detached garage, but I find I play them more now that they are in the house.

Fretsalot/Scott

Fretsalot

@wraub - I forgot to give you the sizes, 12", 13" & 18"(?) toms, and 22" kick.

About the only thing I'm thinking of adding at this point, but am in no rush is...a cowbell; and one of those tambourine'y things that mounts to the high-hat spindle/shaft.

Hope you are enjoying your Yamaha kit as much as I've been mine.

Fretsalot/Scott

wraub

@wraub - I forgot to give you the sizes, 12", 13" & 18"(?) toms, and 22" kick.

About the only thing I'm thinking of adding at this point, but am in no rush is...a cowbell; and one of those tambourine'y things that mounts to the high-hat spindle/shaft.

Hope you are enjoying your Yamaha kit as much as I've been mine.

Fretsalot/Scott

I have the Yamaha 22" bass drum also, but have a 20" that fits better in my setup so I use it more. It's not Yamaha but it's okay. :D I like my setup very much, it's a bit of a mutt but it's mine and it sounds really good imo (and others' also).

I went through a few cowbells before I settled on mine, make sure to try out a few if you can. I'm still deciding on a good ching ring, lots of options there too.

edit:here's a bad pic
IMG-0287.jpg

MomentFX

There are definitely better options out there for not too much more money than the ZBTs. I just added an 18" Zildjian S Series Medium Thin crash. I went for inexpensive without going too cheap ($90 used+$18 shipping) from Musicians Friend/Gtr Ctr). I'm very pleased with it, and to my ears, it goes well with the 16" A Custom crash I already had.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom