Adding a Guitar Part to Covers without Guitar in 'em...

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Please share yours or others where folk added guitar into a non guitar tune ...
Here's a youtube of one I did (even added a solo at about 2:13 where there was originally something else ...?)

Last edited:

Average Joe

No clips but a couple of ideas from my pop/get the drunk girls dancing band:

Double the bass - Example: Lady Gaga Just Dance
Quiet strumming part following the drums - Example: Taylor Swift Blank Space
Wait out the verse and add distorted guitar to the chorus - Example: Katy Perry Hot and Cold (maybe there is a guitar on that recording?, never could figure the mix out)

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
No clips but a couple of ideas from my pop/get the drunk girls dancing band:

Quiet strumming part following the drums - Example: Taylor Swift Blank Space
Wait out the verse and add distorted guitar to the chorus - Example: Katy Perry Hot and Cold (maybe there is a guitar on that recording?, never could figure the mix out)
Very cool & creative ... would luv to hear those.

Turns out there's few more videos on youtube where I added guitar to songs without ...
I'll try to getting around to posting 'em here too...

drewl

Hell yeah, those jazz guys in the big band days would be playing weird chords and never be heard as they were un-amplified.

I usually do keyboard or horn parts for songs with no guitar.

Hamer95USA

Hey Joe,

Good playing in the video. Interesting post! I played this song with BTA Band before. That song is mainly all keyboards so you end up having to create a rhythm guitar part that complements the song without getting in the way of the vocals. The part where you solo is actually the rap that Dave decided not to do. I also did a solo in the rap section of the song because Rence asked me to fill out the empty space in that part of the song.

My view on this you have to end up creating a rhythm guitar part that fits the song without overplaying and squashing the vocals. The current Top 40 or pop songs of today doesn't always have guitar recorded in their songs. Sometimes I have to check out the songs on YouTube to see how the artists perform it live and what their guitarist is playing on the song to have an idea of what I should do.

Guitar George

Multicellular

I don't think the original has guitar on it. If it does, it is subtle. Royals by Lorde.

I had never heard the song the 1st time I played it. My friend (who is singing lead), played it on Uke and I was playing guitar. After I listened to the original once or twice, we recorded this.

I'm playing all the instruments, friend Mike Prater is singing lead.
http://www.multicellularmusic.com/1/Royals.mp3

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Hey Joe,

Good playing in the video. Interesting post! I played this song with BTA Band before. That song is mainly all keyboards so you end up having to create a rhythm guitar part that complements the song without getting in the way of the vocals. The part where you solo is actually the rap that Dave decided not to do. I also did a solo in the rap section of the song because Rence asked me to fill out the empty space in that part of the song.

My view on this you have to end up creating a rhythm guitar part that fits the song without overplaying and squashing the vocals. The current Top 40 or pop songs of today doesn't always have guitar recorded in their songs. Sometimes I have to check out the songs on YouTube to see how the artists perform it live and what their guitarist is playing on the song to have an idea of what I should do.

Guitar George
Yeah ... that was the first time I ever played the song ... didn't even know I was going to take a solo there.
David just pointed at me & said take it ... so just went for it.

stevel

I did that too. There was this little "boing" sound that happened at regular intervals I would do as well.

We used to do "Cars" by Gary Numan, and I basically played all the synth parts on guitar (along with a synth player).

We did "Dropped the Bomb On Me" by The Gap Band and I played the synth line on guitar myself - including the little lead line.

In those cases I actually put a lot of saturation from gain on, and then roll back the tone knob all the way to make kind of a faux synth tone.

I can actually do that with my M13 now, but I've never actually gotten the chance.

We used to do a lot of dance/funk tunes without guitar originally and I would generally add those back and forth plinky plunk lines, like in "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough" or "Billie Jean", or more funky things a la Nile Rodgers (Chic, Let's Dance, etc.) or what you hear in "Play That Funky Music" or "Another One Bites the Dust".

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
I did that too. There was this little "boing" sound that happened at regular intervals I would do as well.

We used to do "Cars" by Gary Numan, and I basically played all the synth parts on guitar (along with a synth player).

We did "Dropped the Bomb On Me" by The Gap Band and I played the synth line on guitar myself - including the little lead line.

In those cases I actually put a lot of saturation from gain on, and then roll back the tone knob all the way to make kind of a faux synth tone.

I can actually do that with my M13 now, but I've never actually gotten the chance.

We used to do a lot of dance/funk tunes without guitar originally and I would generally add those back and forth plinky plunk lines, like in "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough" or "Billie Jean", or more funky things a la Nile Rodgers (Chic, Let's Dance, etc.) or what you hear in "Play That Funky Music" or "Another One Bites the Dust".
Right on ... IMO that's being very creative ... or at least imaginative as if working up your own arrangement ...
Have you always been in a two guitar band?

Ferret

Silver Supporting Member
It's not songs that have or lack guitar. It's arrangements. So, do your own arrangement.

I guess that's not really the issue is it? You are talking about covering song arrangements that are well known where the arrangement doesn't feature guitar and the audience expects the song to sound familiar. Then you should take a part that other instruments in your band aren't playing and play it or stay out of the way while just embellishing something important to the song. But it's much more satisfying to come up with a very different arrangement in which guitar works well.

dougb415

Maybe on some songs the guitarist should (uh-oh) sit that one out. I had to learn that the hard way when I was playing keyboards in a band back in the 80s. We did "Stray Cat Strut", and I just HAD to add my part. I listen to those recordings now, and I cringe. I should have turned down the volume, that would have sounded a whole lot better!

The lead guitarist in our band also plays a lot of solo shows, and sometimes he does the "gotta play everything" in the band context. No, you don't have to do a bass line, rhythm, solos and percussion when you have other people playing with you. You don't have to strum all 6 strings all the time.

Not sure if that is what you were looking for, but it's my experience.

jimmyj

In one context I've done a lot of covering keyboard or horn parts if there isn't one in the band.

If there are keys and horns on your band you can unison or harmonize horn lines.I used to do that on Weather Report tunes in particular.

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe on some songs the guitarist should (uh-oh) sit that one out. I had to learn that the hard way when I was playing keyboards in a band back in the 80s. We did "Stray Cat Strut", and I just HAD to add my part. I listen to those recordings now, and I cringe. I should have turned down the volume, that would have sounded a whole lot better!

The lead guitarist in our band also plays a lot of solo shows, and sometimes he does the "gotta play everything" in the band context. No, you don't have to do a bass line, rhythm, solos and percussion when you have other people playing with you. You don't have to strum all 6 strings all the time.

Not sure if that is what you were looking for, but it's my experience.
Yes ... that's the premise you're working with ...
So one has to very cautious of how to add one's part without, at all, disturbing the original concept ...

However, one can add tremendously to a 'live' rendition ... To use a phrase: 'Enhance the groove'
Have seen many a group use additional instruments when playing a tune 'live' ... can give it more life for sure.

les

Platinum Supporting Member
On Scott's HBC album, he does some incredible guitar layering with tunes like Actual Proof, Mysterious Traveller, D Flat Waltz, etc...

Trending Topics