Adding a little fuzz without losing the amp's dynamics

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
Joey Landreth gets some great fuzz tones, all with full-on dynamics. I was messing around with different fuzz pedals built into the HX Effects and found that most kill dynamics. The facial fuzz (Fuzz Face) did the best job of maintaining the pop of the amp; going into a Two Rock Sensor. Adds a little filth to this sometimes hi-fi amp.

Forgive the cheesy iPhone recording and non-Joey-Landreth playing. I was trying to manipulate the filth with my fingers but need a lot more practice. I think there's a lot of potential here, without having to buy an amp.

Last edited:

Jabby92

I find the best way is using lower output pickups and less amp gain with fuzz if you want to retain the dynamics more. This guy had a really good video on 'clean' fuzz tone that explains it well, you might be able to do something similar with the HX:

HeavyCream

Silver Supporting Member
FF’s are definitely one of the best at amp melding and have a massive dynamic range. That’s one pedal you definitely want to have the analog version of imo. If you’re into controlling the amount of dirt/fuzz with your pick attack or guitar volume, I think you would really dig a FF. Modeling can do something kinda similar but in this case the real thing is definitely much better imho, especially when it comes to Ge.

Cool clip btw :aok

-Hawk-

Silver Supporting Member
First of all, in a general sense the fuzz models in the Helix line suck. You’ll probably hear other opinions on that, but even with tweaking the parameters they aren’t nearly as satisfying. Maybe you’ll get close, but as a whole it’s one of the weakest parts of the Helix. I say that as a long-time HX Stomp user that likes the product and its overdrives.

The common trick is to adjust the input resistance, but I’m pretty sure you don’t have that capability on the HX Effects. Even if you did, you’d probably be better off just buying a cheap Fuzz Face and putting it at the front of your chain.

Playing it into an amp that is breaking up or into a light OD pedal helps expand the dynamic range using the guitar’s volume knob.

If you are dead set on the HX Effects being your sole solution, I’d recommend playing around with the Dhyana Drive. That’s a great, thick sounding OD. The KWB has a lot of potential with some tweaking too.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
Funny, I just sold my last analog fuzz. I was tired of the noise and grounding issues. I will try the Dhyana Drive model. The Line 6 Distortion model is not a fuzz, but gives a really nice grit without removing any dynamics.

rawkguitarist

Seriously, I don't really understand questioning how to get Sonny Landreth fuzz tones from Fuzz Face models in a digital device. I'm not dismissing modeling - there's some great options out there. But if you want to come close to the tones of a guy that has unbelievable touch, analog pedals and often a ODS. I'm sure the Two Rock amp is great, but I'd start with a *good* real fuzz and get that amp overdriving a bit too.

PS. I'm re-reading your post. Are you talking about getting these sounds directly from a modeling device? You do or don't have the Two-Rock cause you mentioned "not having to buy an amp".

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
Seriously, I don't really understand questioning how to get Sonny Landreth fuzz tones from Fuzz Face models in a digital device. I'm not dismissing modeling - there's some great options out there. But if you want to come close to the tones of a guy that has unbelievable touch, analog pedals and often a ODS. I'm sure the Two Rock amp is great, but I'd start with a *good* real fuzz and get that amp overdriving a bit too.

PS. I'm re-reading your post. Are you talking about getting these sounds directly from a modeling device? You do or don't have the Two-Rock cause you mentioned "not having to buy an amp".
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I have a physical Two Rock Sensor.

I'm not convinced a real fuzz would make this tone better (to me). As long as it adds a fuzz type grit without flattening the dynamics ... a win for me. I'm not at all picky about achieving authentic fuzz tones or even being close to the Joey tone (he has countless) ... just trying to add that filth, which changes the amp quite a bit. I've been gassing for a more dirty amp and this might clear my GAS.

As far as modeling ... generalizing; I did compare a few pedals to the Line 6 stuff. Typically, they are dead on within one setting and off with other settings. Here is a Klon comparison that is very close. Change the settings (not on the clip) and they sound quite different.

Last edited:

Trending Topics