Adding a sub to atomic CLR for use with Kemper?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by zepwanker, Jan 26, 2015.

1. zepwanker

zepwanker Member

I just purchased an Atomic CLR active wedge for my Kemper. I have a practice room setup at home, with some simple PA gear. I've thought about adding a sub to the PA, but part of my decision would hinge on if it works well in combination with the Atomic CLR wedge when you engage the "sub" switch.

Does anyone have experience using the Kemper with a CLR and a Sub? I don't have the physical CLR yet, just ordered on the way. If someone does have experience, how do you send the signal to the sub...direct? to the P.A and use its crossover? Thanks!

2. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

If you plan to use the built in crossover on the CLR and Sub... be sure to get a sub with the same crossover frequency.

Or if you have an advanced mixer or external crossover... you can use those... just depends on how advanced you want to get.

3. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

How much bass response do you need? Atomic CLR is a FRFR (full range flat response) speaker. It goes down to 70 Hz, guitar low E is 81 Hz.

Unless you are playing bass, using drop tunings or backing tracks through it, I don't see what adding a sub will do for just guitar.

4. zepwanker

zepwanker Member

thanks for the info, so its overkill...I miss my old bogner uberschall, thought this may be needed to bring back the umph that thing had....I guess its up to the kemper to pull it off if the CLR can replicate the v30/gt75 oversized 4X12 uber kab.

5. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

One CLR can produce more low end than any 4x12 loaded with Celestion guitar transducers. Those cabs all start rolling off well above 100 Hz.

6. Ben R

Ben R Member

Yeah... to the OP, it sounds like you're having more of an issue with your settings in the Kemper and/or your captures than anything. What have you tried in terms of tweaking the low end on the Kemper/patches?

7. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

It might be worth pointing out that the CLR reproduces 70 Hz @ -2.5 dB or something around there. It doesn't stop working below that frequency!
    In fact, if you feed it with 30 Hz you clearly hear the response.

I'd like to note that it's quite easy to be creative and to "improve" a product by just not specifying the measures' conditions ;)

Also, of course, +1 for being able to reproduce a 4x12" (b\h)ump not having to do with "how low" a CLR can go.

:)

8. peterjakes

peterjakes Member

Hi Jay, I too would like your assistance with adding a sub. I have two atomic active NEOs but use backing tracks through them and want to boost the bass for the tracks. Which subwoofer brand / model would you suggest is compatible with the CLRs.

Thanks

9. scook

scook Member

Just say no!

10. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

So are you looking to add a sub for use as a PA? Otherwise, as others have mentioned it's pretty useless for guitar. If you are looking to use your CLR's as mains with a sub for a PA / DJ setup - most powered subs will have a low pass filter (LPF). Given that you can set your CLRs to "sub" mode it will allow you to dial in your subwoofer and you should be able to hear the ideal setting I'm going to guess somewhere around 100 Hz.

Most powered subs also have a "pass through" that will send the signal coming in right back out. So you can go from your mixer to the sub and run the pass through signal L and R to your CLRs. This way you would not need a crossover or other external equipment thanks to the pass through, LPF on the sub and the DSP on the CLRs. You would likely also want a 15" or 18" powered sub depending on what you are trying to do.

HTH!