Adding an extension cab to a Roland Blues Cube Artist 112?

BrianNZ

Hi.

Would anybody know if it's possible to safely add an 8 ohm 1x12 extension cab to the Blues Cube 1x12 combo? Thinking mostly about the impedance implications and wondering if that's as important for a transistor amp as it is for a valve amp?

The BC doesn't come with an extension cab output and I'm not sure what the impedance of the stock speaker is. Just wondering if anybody's hooked-up an extra speaker?

Thanks.

Rod

Vibrato & String Bender on Overdrive
Gold Supporting Member
I believe the speaker in those amps are 8 ohms

KenG

I think Roland designed a specific speaker for that amp and you could potentially really change the sound by moving to a standard guitar speaker. Generally speaking it's safe to go higher in load impedance with a SS amp as it'll just draw less current. Putting a higher load (lower total impedance) could potentially be harmful.

BrianNZ

Thanks. That was what I hoped would be the case. If I can wire the extension socket such that the additional speaker runs in series I should be safe then.

Understand what you're saying about the standard speaker being voiced for that amp. I've a couple of 8 ohm candidates to run with it and have for some time liked mismatched cabs. The extension cab is a Two Rock fitted with a WGS, and I've also got a Creamback 65, a G12-H, and finally, a V30 (that I'm not optimistic about).

Thanks again.

I've not tries this personally but If you're willing to do a little soldering to add an output and input jack to the blues cube you could try the Layney IRT-X extension cab.

It takes the 8 ohm load the speakers would normally get after the power amp and buffers it back to the speaker at the same impedance. It then takes a copy of the signal which it then amplifies transparently at 200w solid state retaining all the power amp compression goodness.

The weird/interesting/cool part, depending on your outlook, is that it's not like a normal guitar cab, it's actually a full range speaker more like a monitor wedge giving you some interesting sonic possibilities. You can use built in speaker emulation to make it sound like a 1x12 or 4x12 cab, choosing if you want to use the original blues cube speaker. You could switch off the speaker emulation and sort of mix in the tone of the amp without the rolloff of a guitar speaker (probably sounds bad but with the right mix you never know). It also has it's own fx loop so instead of running washy effects like delay into the power amp with everything else you create a sort of wet dry setup that focuses the power-amp compression on your dry guitar tone.

It's something you'd definitely have to try out in person. It'll live and die on the quality of it's speaker emulation but if it's decent, it could be an amazing addition to a Blues Cube setup. The 4x12 emulation might be more bassman like than the stock speaker. Thinking about it, I've read people claiming that the line output on Blues Cubes does an decent job of emulating the sound of it's cab. If thats true, no soldering is required. Stick that into the extension cab and you're good to go.

Last edited:

ripoffriffs

If you want extension speaker capability in BLues Cubes, you should really consider just springing for the Blues Cube Tour HEAD.

CEFlint

A Tech 21 Power Engine in the line out should work nicely. The full range flat response format can be be a very workable solution. It's an incredibly versatile cabinet.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom