Adding an external power jack

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gtrfinder, Mar 19, 2008.

1. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

What would I need to be able to add an external power jack to a pedal that only runs on 9v batteries?
    Prescription Electronics Experience for example.

2. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

This is sort of a half-baked solution, but I am completely inept when it comes to electronics, so here's what I do: I just buy a 9V battery snap connector like they sell at Radio Shack, snip off the end of one of the power leads from my Pedal Power, drill a hole in the side of the pedal, splice the lead from the power supply to the snap connector, and plug the snap connector into the pedal's battery connector. Not elegant, but it works.

3. gtrfinder

I don't consider that a half baked solution.
    It was actually what I was thinking of doing before I asked this question. I wasn't sure if it would screw anything up though.

4. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

It's worked fine in my experience - I'm powering three pedals that way with no problems. It actually works really well for fuzz pedals or other pedals with jacks that are center positive, and therefore non-compatible with conventional power supply plugs. It's kind of a bummer to have to drill a hole in your pedal, but you'd have to do that to install a DC jack anyway. With some pedals you might even be able to avoid drilling by removing one of the base plate screws and routing the electrical wire through that.

5. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Radio shack and One spot make battery snap to boss barrel adapters. Very easy fix - no splicing or soldering involved.

6. MudPies

MudPies Member

I tried the 9v battery adapter for my vox wah. As soon as I turned it on it made a click, then a whooshy noise, then nothing. I can't be certain it was the adapter that burnt the wah out but there was nothing else different about the setup besides the adapter.

food for thought.

7. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

Be careful if the pedal is positive ground. You can tell if it's positive ground if the red + battery wire goes to the input jack. If so, and you share a power supply with another pedal, you will fry the power supply. See my fuzzface page for more info about why that happens.

8. gtrfinder

Hey Mike. Thanks for the info!
    You've got a great site and I still go back from time to time and read some of the info on there.

Regarding the power supply issue:
    I use a Furman SPB-8, so I'd be using an isolated supply for the pedal.