Adding Effects Loop to Amp to Plug in Modeler?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by JoeB63, Dec 30, 2017.

1. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I have a JTM45, and I would love to be able to plug my Helix (line-level signal) directly into its power amp. JTM45s don't have effects loops, so I suppose there are two ways to accomplish this:

1. Install a simple break in the circuit with in and out jacks (passive effects loop); or,

2. Install an active loop, like the Metro zero-loss loop.

Clearly #1 above is a lot more simple and cheaper, but I'm not sure if plugging the Helix into the power amp like that will work well at all.

#2 is overkill for a JTM45, since it's not particularly useful for running delay with that, since there's not a lot of gain in the amp until the PI and power tubes are distorting, which would be after the loop. But, would it be the best solution for successfully using the amp's power section with the modeler?

Of course, I could just buy another amp with an active loop, but that's probably the most expensive option. So presume that's not an option right now please.

Thanks for any advice.
    Joe

2. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

3. pdf64

pdf64 Member

My experience is that whichever route you take, with a regular non master volume amp like this, you will probably find that it sounds way better just plugged into the regular inputs.

4. Bush

Bush Member

I like the loop on my Fryette Powestation. I use it with a NMV Marshall.

5. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Yes, I have one of those too, but I'm only using it to amplify the Helix. So I thought maybe I could use the JTM45 for that purpose (if I could just plug into its power amp) and sell the Powerstation.

At gigs, I go direct to PA and FRFR monitor, so this is just a solution for playing at home.

6. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

Unless you would be driving the JTM amp section into distortion, I don't think there's much if anything to be gained, other than being able to sell the Fryette - which you may regret later.