1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Adding headphone jack

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Broughie, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Broughie

Broughie Member

Hi, My name is Wayne and I am new to guitars and amps. I have an amp that does not have a option for headphones. Could this be added or would the standard headphone not handle the load at output. Am I making any sense?

I did try a search and did not come across any threads that covered this subject.

Thanks and this is a great site and a refreshing change to the combative HC.

Wayne

2. Broughie

Broughie Member

PHP:
    recombative HCHeck they're not really combative, they're simply opinionated to the max! (ha,halike we're not, not.
    I think you can be opinionated yet civil. I like the the tone of this board.

Cheers

Wayne

3. Broughie

Broughie Member

"...anything is possible, but it's just a question of money and will.

...what amp?

...the "typical" thing is to un-plug the speaker and plug in a "dummy" load resistor with a paralleled voltage-divider to reduce the voltage (ie: volume) down to the level of the headphones...it's QUITE a reduction by the way!"

That makes alot of sense. I have a 20th edition Hughes and Kettner. I will have to buy my wife some earplugs or migrate to the garage.

Cheers

Wayne

4. Amptone

Amptone Member

I've been wondering about headphone jacks as part of my requirements for the grandma amp: when staying at grandma's house, a compact combo amp is needed with the following features: power tube, power attenuation designed to sound good down to 10 mW, preamp distortion, headphone jack, fx loop and detachable internal speaker for scalability.

The most unfamiliar design problem, surprisingly, is the headphone jack because of the need for guitar-speaker simulation. If you take the dummyload/eq/reamp approach, it becomes an easy problem: make it so that plugging into the headphone jack engages cab-sim EQ in the EQ stage after the dummy load.

But if you take the passive power attenuation or power scaling approach, there's no spot to put a line-level cab-sim filter circuit after the power tube -- so then the question is, can you make a cab-sim filter that operates at speaker level, so it sounds good in fullrange headphones from 1 mW to 2 W? A Weber MASS model has high-power bass and treble control, so maybe it is possible to have a cabsim filter operating around 1 W rather than line level.

-- Michael Hoffman
    http://amptone.com -- Guitar Amp Tone, Effects Placement, and Cranked-Amp Tone at Any Volume