1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Adding LEDS to BOSS etc pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jaywalker, Sep 9, 2008.

1. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Quicky question that could change the face of almost every pedalboard.

Let's say I want to add an extra high powered LED to a BOSS pedal or anything similar.
    Would it cause any damage to the pedal?? i.e. running 2 LEDs in parrallel.

2. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

It shouldn't. Worst you might do is kill the battery sooner.

3. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

You might have to change the resistor going to the led so it will power a bigger one.

4. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

I would guess that you would have to change the LED resistor. But I don't know if that would only apply in series or parallel. To get a brighter LED, you definately would have to change the resistor.

5. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

tis done!!!!!

I applied the same principle to the tier and bottom of my chrome pedalboard (now stolen):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The resistor was removed with the LEDs in parallel. all my pedals are getting this treatment.....
    Just have to build another one of these:
    [​IMG]

And we should be looking prettttyy grooooovy...........

Thank's guys!!!!!

6. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

That's officially cool as **** looking! Great job!

7. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Took 10 mins and cost less than 2 dollars FWIW.

8. AL30

AL30 Member

You may want to run your pedals via a power supply instead of a battery - if you aren't already doing that. Like Frankie said - you'll drain your battery faster. Not too much of a problem on OD pedals but a delay eats batteries as-is.

AL

9. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

All my pedals are on power supplies with battery backup, no problems. Tomorrow I'm going to employ the same principle on a DD6 with the tempo LED indicator thingy.

10. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Sorry to rain on the parade...
    The original LED is heating up a little too much for my liking without the resistor. Anyone have any suggestions? I tried a lower value resistor but both LEDs were totally dim with it.