Adding Plate to SC PU's? Myth?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by wavey63, Aug 7, 2008.

1. wavey63

wavey63 Member

My friend and I were discussing tele vs strat pu's and came upon the often discussed idea of adding a metal plate to the bottom of a regular single coil to add more power and twang(?) . Anyone ever do this and if so what does it actually do to the tone? Or is it just :NUTS?

2. EBGB

EBGB Member

It's a good question.
    John Suhr told me it takes away more than it adds.
    From 1st hand experience, I disagree.
    I had a baseplate put on the bridge pickup of a 62RI Fender Strat (stock pickups).
    It seems to boost output and mids of the bridge pickup, making it fuller.
    It's great for switching to the bridge pu and having it really cut, punch, and chime.

3. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I agree. I have one on my '57 RI Strat bridge pick up and it definitely is fuller. Maybe the plate takes away some of the highs, and maybe that is what Suhr was referring to. Not sure. Either way, I am leaving mine on. It works really well.

4. diego

diego Member

From my experience, I agree with the results above... worth doing on a Strat bridge pup.

5. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

Funny. My Suhr came with a bassplate, and it is the best strat bridge that I've heard.

6. EBGB

EBGB Member

Funny indeed. Is it an early model?

Here is the exact email from JS:

On Sun Nov 04 15:26:17 PST 2007, johnsuhr@suhrguitars.com wrote:
    Did they glue the base plate on?
    If not it will squeal, I wouldnt bother personally, baseplate
    detract more than they add
    Thanks
    JS

7. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I got a Suhr with a baseplate too - great sounding bridge pickup for a Strat.

8. EBGB

EBGB Member

Well, people are allowed to change their minds.
    He really only says that personally he doesn't want one.

I think that- at least for strat personality- it's a better option than putting a hb or p90 in the bridge
    it's less of a major character shift when switching to the br, but still gets some of that "boost" people are looking for

9. David Collins

David Collins Member

Different certainly doesn't mean better for everyone. ;)

That said, yes, of course it makes a real difference. Eddy currents in the brass plate will impede or choke off certain frequencies more than others. Hard to describe exactly what it does without just hearing it, but I've called it more of a "throaty" tone, if that makes sense to anyone other than myself. :rolleyes:

The highs will be choked off more than other frequencies, so technically it does only take away and not add. Perception is all relative though, and this ends up leaving the perceived sum tone as a bit stronger and more powerful in the mids. If you want it to sound like a traditional strat, there's no reason to add one. Still, it's an easy quick mod to play with if you're looking for different tones.

10. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

It's been wrong since day one that the tele bridge pickup has a base plate.:mob

11. 1moreknob

1moreknob Supporting Member

Where do I obtain a Base Plate?

Bob

12. Griz

Griz Member

13. 5er Driver

5er Driver Member

My Fender Custom Classic came with their Modern Classic pups, Fender puts a plate under the bridge pup. It must be there for a reason. The set up sounds good to me.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  14. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

years ago i had a tele with a dimarzio pre-b 1 bridge pickup (11-12k, aV magnets, no baseplate.) it was loud, and sounded pretty much like a fender, but didn't sound like a tele. i added the plate (ferrous steel, not brass, by the way) and the guitar finally sounded like a tele, louder than before and with that cutting upper-mid twang.

suhr strikes me as someone who likes his strats to sound like strats. he doesn't make crazy overwound, steel-pole, 43-wire, alnico II or III, stacked, baseplate-modded anything. his most overwound and his most underwound strat pickups still fall within the window of what might have been found on a real vintage strat.

15. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I tried a steel baseplae on a 6k-ish Strat pup and it may not have done nothing (maybe close to nothing), but it sure didn't make it sound like a Tele.

16. Structo

Structo Member

I just put together a strat and used the Callaham plate on the bridge pup.
    And to be honest, I didn't listen to this set of pickups before I installed the plate since it was a new build.
    But to me, it doesn't seem thin and ice picky like my other strats did before I yanked the single coil out of the bridge and installed a humbucker.

I finally have a bridge pickup that will stay single coil.

So just from this I think it is a good alternative for a bridge pickup if you don't like the thinness of the tone.

If I recall, these pickups are just a tad hotter than vintage spec at around 6KΩ.

Very cheap and removable mod to try.

I used a thin bead of silicone to keep it on the pup per Bill Callaham's instructions.

17. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Fralin sells them for like $10. FWIW, I used to have a Tokai strat with stock DiMarzio vintage style pickups and never liked the bridge pickup until I added the baseplate. It changed it from thin and plinky to steely, twangy, and better seated in the mix. Basically adds a little bit of Tele vibe to strat bridge pickup.