Additional speaker wiring questions...and MORE!

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Riscchip, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

Greetings:

I just ordered an unloaded Avatar 2x12 I'm gonna wire up myself. I notice they come with two jacks which I know is generally for chaining cabs together. Is there anything wrong with wiring the speakers twice in the same cabinet...in my case, I'd be doing one jack serial for 8 ohms, one jack parallel for 4. Is this doable? Does it get tough to solder all that wire onto the contacts?

Second question...is it better to front or rear-load the speakers? In my case, I'm using one Greenback and one G12H30.

Thanks as always for your wisdom gents. :)

2. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

If you use two 8 ohm speakers, you can do series at 16 and parallel at 4. That's as close as you can get, though.

This requires you to have switching jacks, of course. Otherwise you won't be able to accomplish it without use of a switch.

3. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

Ugh...sorry...I meant to say 16, not 8. I have all kinds of ohm numbers kicking around in my head. :p That was what I was shooting for...16 and 4.

Thanks a million for the advice James. So it's not possible to just wire up both jacks and plug into one or the other, it requires a special switching jack, or do you mean to use only one jack for both configurations you need the switching jack?

I appreciate the help, and suggestion for rear-loading. That's what I'll do.

4. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

Actually...looking at your diagram, it does look like switching jacks are required. Thanks for that info--I guess that means I need switching jacks. Thanks...I didn't know about those at all. :)

5. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

James is, in fact, THE MAN. :D

6. Phineas

Phineas Member

I know this is a way old thread but i'm in the same boat as the OP. would love a diagram. i have a 16 and 4ohm input jacks on my cab. the jacks are self switching marshall type jacks (3 terminals on each side of the jack).

Tks!

7. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

8. Phineas

Phineas Member

THanks James! This is a big help.

9. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

Glad to help. It was on one of my old sites in 2004 when this thread was originally posted, but I hadn't added the pictures to my site when I transferred everything a few years later.