Adhesive for electronic components on PCBs

Crate love

Greetings,

What type of adhesive is used to help anchor/shockproof? electronic components such as capacitors (the taller vertical type) to the PCB?

Thanks for any and all help.

Joe M

Prairie Dawg

I use hot melt craft glue myself. It does the job and is easy to remove if you need to. I don't much like RTV or silicone sealer because it mostly has acetic acid in it and can cause corrosion.

Crate love

great idea- never thought of that! I understand the acid reference - that would be a bad thing.

Thanks

xtian

Gold Supporting Member
Hot glue will actually melt when it, um, gets hot, making a mess. Marine silicone does not have acetic acid. Also automotive, hi-temp silicone is good.

zzmoore

I have used A LOT of glue from a glue gun.
I personally have never had an amp (the chassis where the parts are) get anywhere near hot enough to melt the glue.
You cannot be an idiot. If you are dropping B+ with a component that you know will get HOT, glue might be a bad choice. But to just anchor components in "normal" situations, I see no problem with a glue gun.
best

ungarn

For ruggedizing...and never wanting to remove...I would use a 2-part, room temp curing epoxy. 3M Scotchweld 2216 would be a good choice.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom