• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Adhesive for electronic components on PCBs

Crate love

Greetings,

What type of adhesive is used to help anchor/shockproof? electronic components such as capacitors (the taller vertical type) to the PCB?

Thanks for any and all help.

Joe M

Prairie Dawg

I use hot melt craft glue myself. It does the job and is easy to remove if you need to. I don't much like RTV or silicone sealer because it mostly has acetic acid in it and can cause corrosion.

Crate love

great idea- never thought of that! I understand the acid reference - that would be a bad thing.

Thanks

xtian

Gold Supporting Member
Hot glue will actually melt when it, um, gets hot, making a mess. Marine silicone does not have acetic acid. Also automotive, hi-temp silicone is good.

zzmoore

I have used A LOT of glue from a glue gun.
I personally have never had an amp (the chassis where the parts are) get anywhere near hot enough to melt the glue.
You cannot be an idiot. If you are dropping B+ with a component that you know will get HOT, glue might be a bad choice. But to just anchor components in "normal" situations, I see no problem with a glue gun.
best

ungarn

For ruggedizing...and never wanting to remove...I would use a 2-part, room temp curing epoxy. 3M Scotchweld 2216 would be a good choice.

Trending Topics