Adjusting Height on Strat Pole Pieces?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by hardys, Feb 26, 2008.

1. hardys

hardys Member

I've had some WCR Strat pickups that I could safely lower the pole piece height by simply pushing the pole piece from front to back. I did this at Jim's recommendation to lower the G string magnet.

Is this safe to do with other new production, vintage Strat type pickups? Those high G string magnets drive me crazy with flatter radius necks. I've been thinking of trying some Fender Fat 50s, but want to lower that G magnet.

2. daddyo

daddyo Guest

No, it's not safe. Seymour Duncam makes a vintage style pup with a flat pole layout.

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

with new fenders i've had little trouble doing just that, and for the exact same reason. the texas specials and fat 50s are calibrated for a wound G, which is just stupid. while these pickups are wound old-school, directly onto the magnets, the wind is usually loose enough in the middle that you can hold the pickup in one hand and gently tap on the G pole with a little hammer in the other hand. just getting it down to a little higher than the B makes all the difference. you can kill the pickup if this maneuver breaks a coil wire inside the winding, but i've been doing it for many years on those particular pickups with no problems. do not try this on a real vintage pickup!

4. hardys

hardys Member

Thanks Walter...just what I wanted to know. :BEER

How do you like the Fat 50s? How would you describe them tonally? How about those Texas Specials as well?

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i like them both. they don't get the respect that the boutique stuff does, but they sound a lot better than, say, regular american standard pickups or fender's noiseless stuff. the fat 50's are a straight-ahead balanced strat set, and the texas specials have a slightly "boosted" sound that really sings with overdrive.