Adjusting Pedals at a full bar gig?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 2HBStrat, May 14, 2015.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

The other night I did something I don't think I've ever done. I worked on my sound, actually the sound of one of my pedals with which I have had a long ongoing love/hate relationship, at full volume on break with a full room. For it to sound right to me I had to lower the bass control a LOT, and adjust the middle, treble, and presence as well. A patron walking by said "right on." It wasn't exactly the most professional thing to do, and I fully expect that when I try the pedal again at a different gig it will sound like @$$, but I did it anyway.......has anyone else done something like this?

2. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

Some times it must be done.

3. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

4. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

You made adjustments to your sound at a gig? :omg

:mob:mob:mob

5. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

On break, at full volume and in a full room. Amateur hour...

:mob

6. radicool

radicool Member

Don't think I'd ever do that. That what sound checks are for. I'd tweak knobs silently and hope for the best.

7. straightblues

straightblues Member

I do it mid song; or at the end of the song without hearing it. Never would I adjust it while playing at full volume to a room full of people. That is bad form.

8. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I wouldn't do it on a break. Usually, I've worked all of that out at rehearsals. The most I'd do is make a slight tweak mid-song.

9. emdub123

emdub123 Supporting Member

I try to memorize where all the knobs go because they get bumped in transit and invariably will sound like a** if I don't notice before the show starts. Sound check? We always play in the middle of the bill and the bar is already full of people and I don't feel comfortable doing more than a couple seconds of tweaking, so no extended knob tweaking for me. My rig needs to be as set it and forget it as possible

10. Ethn Hayabusa

Ethn Hayabusa Member

Don't always get a soundcheck. ;)

11. emdub123

emdub123 Supporting Member

But yes, there are certain pedals (fuzz) that sound different in every room and you kind of just have to roll the dice and guess, while others sound exactly the same every time...?

12. Telefunky

Telefunky Member

Sure, I do it if necessary. There's a bit of an art to it though- if you're slick most people shouldn't even notice. First thing is figure out is how to play along with the house music so that you become a part of it. You might have to get creative since most DJ music doesn't have any guitar parts at all these days. If you're playing something musical enough, even the people watching you shouldn't mind.

Of course the main thing is KEEP IT SHORT. I use and HIGHLY recommend the use of baffles to absorb volume and harsh frequencies. If someone is 25 ft away they won't hear you over the house music if you use baffles.

13. smv929

smv929 Member

As much as I've wanted to tweak my rig during a break, it's just not professional, and it's likely annoying to people. I just usually try to get it close during sound check. Then tweak during the first song/set some. Sometimes it feels like I'm tweaking all night, but I try to not make it obvious, cause it takes away form the performance and show, etc.

The bottom line is you have put some time in at home experimenting with your rig at gig level. Get your pedal board, amp settings, guitar choices figured out there. Crank it.

Forgive if you know this, but also know that when it sounds good at home, that sound might not work at the gig, where you'll likely need more midrange (i.e., the tube screamer or equivalent). So many times, I will think that I'm going to finally gig with other pedals that sound so nice, warm and wonderful and better than the tuber screamer at home. Then at the gig, I often revert back to using the tube screamer. I'm getting better at picking pedals, but this has been the case so many times, that I keep the TS on board just in case.

14. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I keep several overdrives on my board so that I can quickly switch between them mid-song if something does not sound quite right when my hands are busy.

On the other hand, last night I saw David Torn play and then I walked up the street to watch Duke Levine play. David constantly tweaks his effects re-time but he's playing solo with multiple loops going on. Duke was playing in the Dennis Brennan Band and he adjusted his amp and pedals throughout the night in the middle of songs.

-bEn r.

15. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Yeah, but......people were eating and it was quiet in the room, like VERY quiet, before band time. On break people were drinking and talking and loud and there was break music being played on the PA, too....

16. georgestrings

georgestrings Senior Member

+1...

- georgestrings

17. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Your better of tweaking during a song,definitely not in a break. Also tell me the name of the pedal so i can avoid it!!!!! But honestly, if your constantly tweaking, its just not the right pedal / rig for you.

18. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

I haven't changed anything in years. After the gig, the head goes in its case and sits in the garage until the next gig...

Waiting.

19. Glass Onion

Lol never thought I would be on the side of 2hbstrat.

Wtf happened to rock and roll. If it is a quick tweak lasting no more than a minute or so. F the audience and their poor sensibilities. I know they are the customer but guess what f the customer. If I want to spend all my time trying to make the customer happy I will get a 9 to 5. I have a career. Piss on being nice to the people who according to all of you cant tell the difference anyway. So hell. I must be tweaking for myself.

I hope your tan pants chafe your fat thighs you bastards.

20. Glass Onion

Oh but wait. There are countless moments of video documentation of Hendrix and multiple others adjusting settings on stage. The vast majority of bedroom know it alls who claim to know what is professional is assssss tounding. Please stfu qnd play your guitar.