Adjusting pickup heights is such a PITA!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MadFrank, Feb 28, 2012.

1. MadFrank

MadFrank Supporting Member

I've been on a major buying spree the last year, that has included three new amps and pickup swaps for several of my guitars. Not that I'm complaining! I'm lucky to have such nice gear. I'll tell you what though, getting the pickups adjusted just right in a new guitar - with a new amp - is a maddening and labourious process. I'm finding that after an hour or so of tweaking back and forth between amps and pickup rings, that I have to put the guitar down and clear my head, because I'm not really hearing objectivly after a while.

You think you have the bridge just perfect, then the 'in-between' goes all honky and nasally, so you adjust back, and the two pickups dont match in output, so ... and on and on, until you realise you have too many mids dialled in on the amp because that's how your other guitar likes it...

:peenut

Eventually, you get it just right - not too hot, not too cold. Electric guitars are such fussy instruments. I really should play acoustic more!

2. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Agree...I'm convinced that the overall satisfaction on a guitar is directly correlated to how long you can keep the stock pups in there. The exceptions seem to be 1 pickup guitars!

3. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

sorry for yr troubles.

me, i do it in a few minutes.
    then, i adjust in another few minutes, but here & there, later on;
    i figure i'll get it where i want it, eventually, and i do.
    usually after a gig.

but,
    i don't usually need/want to tweak my amp while i'm tweaking the pickup-heights;
    still, neither are really all that difficult..... ¿are they?

4. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Then when you tweak your string height, you've got to go back and adjust your pickup heights again! :)

5. MadFrank

MadFrank Supporting Member

Well... not as difficult as calculus or picking up swimwear models... but I'm not aware of a good forum for the latter, or a bad forum for the former. I was hoping my guitar skills could make up for my lack of skill with either!