Adjusting your guitar for alternate tunings?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bahklava, Feb 26, 2012.

1. bahklava

bahklava Senior Member

I've just returned to the US after half a year toiling away in Honduras. My roommate there, Dan, happens to have been an experienced live guitarist/bassist; when he heard of my plan to keep two guitars, one assigned to standard and one to DAFDAD tuning, he told me that I should probably make adjustments to keep the DAFDAD tuning from ruining the neck.

I now submit this issue to TGP: what adjustments should I make to protect the neck? I have a Fender Strat (standard model) that I plan on kicking down to DAFDAD.

(For that matter, I'm also thinking of knocking my Epiphone Les Paul down to double-drop tuning; I like my capos a lot).

2. catpeople

catpeople Senior Member

It's not about protecting the neck. Your neck can handle a lot of things, including that tuning. Just get the neck and saddles adjusted so the guitar is playable and you're good to go.

3. boppstar

boppstar Member

Necks can adjust to a variety of tensions without issue - I think that getting the guitar setup and intonated in your alternate tuning is more important!