ADKOT-sliding down the charts

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by pete692, Feb 22, 2012.

1. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

I work with many people who consider themselves rock fans, and furthermore, VH fans, and one step further, DLR-era VH fans. And less than half of them even know they have a new album out. This is some **** marketing fo' sho.

Spread the word. Nobody that listens to this can believe how freakin' awesome it is. Once they become aware of it, that is.

2. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Other than a random commercial on TV...I haven't heard of the album other than here

3. chequepoint

chequepoint Member

The charts don't mean a whole lot anymore..

They used to be important. You'd throw everything you had at that first week to chart high, because it was the ONLY way to get retail to order more of your record. Sales reps needed ammo to get you placed on the shelves because if people couldn't find your record, they couldn't buy it.

Now there is virtually no retail, if you want a CD you order it or you download it. Distribution is a non issue, but you do lose impulse sales.

They'll sell CD's at the shows, make money touring, and the die hard fans are buying it. They won't' have a "hit" song because there is no medium for it to be a hit in. Classic Rock radio plays classic rock, they'll indulge an artists new song for a few weeks and then it'll be right back to whatever 2-3 Van Halen songs they keep in rotation. The old standbys test higher with their audience, and allows them to sell more advertising.

Is it going to cross over into top 40? AC? It's very doubtful.
    Want to make a radio station that plays new songs by old bands? Sounds like a quick way to lose a fortune.

Can they milk 3 years of touring out of it if they want to? absolutely.

All that said, I'm amazed at how well it was marketed. Regular ads on Howard Stern, a whole Van Halen special. Lots of press coverage. Irving avoided "exclusive retailer" trap because it bit him in the ass with GnR. I don't think they have any room to gripe at the label or management for the setup and promotion.

4. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

5. BedroomRockStar01

BedroomRockStar01 Supporting Member

No offense, but it seems like a niche record anyways, and once the diehards have it, it's inevitable that it slides down the charts and fades into obscurity. Without a hit single driving it (which I believe Chequepoint did any excellent job of explaining why that won't happen), it's not going to do all that well.

And honestly, as a casual VH fan at best, it's just not that well. Don't get me wrong, there are bands I'm insane about that put out mediocre albums that I absolutely love, but those albums would not do well with the casual listener. This just seems like one of those albums for VH. Plus, they're fairly far removed from relevancy, both in terms of popularity and sound. They thrived in the era of the music video and big arena-touring rock bands. This is not those times.

None of this is to hate on VH. I'm merely looking at this and seeing clearly why they're not going to have a massive chart success. I don't know whether massive promotion would do much to change that.

6. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Take a look at the Billboard charts. The album is not sliding anywhere. It's #1 on the rock album hart, #2 (behind Adele) on the overall top 200 album chart; and #4 on the digital album chart. And this is just its debut week on all of those charts.

http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100#/charts

7. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

:huhYa, statistically and realistically you are way off base- the album has done well and these guys will have one of the top grossing tours of 2012. I love it when people somehow then say they are obscure or not relevant.....:huh

8. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I'm sure the album will eventually go Gold.

9. GerryJ

GerryJ Member

Professionals correct me if I'm wrong, but nowadays isn't the download/CD used to promote the Real Money from tour and merchandise- 180 degree different than it was up to the late 90s, where the tour promoted the Real Money from the sale of the commodity.

10. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Supporting Member

I still have not heard a new tune on any of the radio stations around here.

11. Lance

Lance Member

Sweet! Thanks Jim, for pointing that out. I never check stuff like that, because I really don't care. As long as I got my copy, that's all that really matters to me. But, it is REALLY cool to see ANYTHING that I enjoy at the top of anything!

12. Ultron

Ultron Member

same here....I'm not even hearing it on XM Radio (Boneyard, Hair Nation or even 20 on 20).

13. Lance

Lance Member

Wow, people still listen to the radio?

14. jpftribe

jpftribe Member

LOL, my thought exactly.

15. Ultron

Ultron Member

XM sure! Terrestrial, notsomuch (for music).

16. BedroomRockStar01

BedroomRockStar01 Supporting Member

In terms of the pop spectrum, they are wholly irrelevant, as in they will not have a big crossover hit like the old days. I'm not saying they won't be successful cranking out the old hits on a massive selling tour (the Stones have been doing this for decades), but that doesn't really address the OP's question/concern.

Are the relevant in today's radio environment? Not at all, outside of classic rock radio that will not play new tracks by old bands (aside from a few plays on the initial release). Are they relevant as a big money touring band? Absolutely, so long as they have entertaining live shows.

Honestly, that the record has sold as well as it has is rather amazing to me.

17. GFR4LYF

GFR4LYF Member

Same for me also, I have SonicTap thru Direct Tv and I have'nt heard anything either. In fact if it was'nt for the internet and these forums here, I would have never known about their new album.

18. VH5150

VH5150 Member

i have on demand and they play the tattoo video all the time...I don't hear it on the radio.....cuz i'm playing the cd

19. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

Oops, looks like I inadvertently got my info. from a Canadian site.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/02/22/adele-triumphs-vh-fizzles-on-charts

Still haven't got this weeks numbers from U.S. Billboard, though. And yes, I would like to see this album do well, for many different reasons, beyond being a VH fan. For starters, it would be great if they made another one. It would also be great to see hard rock back on the mainstream charts again. And I still don't think they've done a great job marketing this release.

20. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

I work in an automotive supply factory with over 500 employees. We are about 90 miles from Louisville where the concert kicked off.

I have talked to approximately 20 guys, some of whom are guitar players. Not one person was aware of the tour, new album, or reunion with DLR. I suppose there are many reasons for lack of awareness, but I have yet to hear a new VH song on our two clearchannel stations. IN fact, on the day the new album was released, one station was actually playing a sammy era song at about 5;00 in the afternoon, the prime time for listener coverage. It's very sad to me...