1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Adler's Appetite

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by smcgov, May 22, 2011.

1. smcgov

smcgov Member

Saw them last night just outside Philly...really did a good job, mostly songs from AFD really tight and a very energetic performance.

I highly recommend seeing them as they generally play clubs, which is a great place to hear those tunes....

2. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Cool. Thanks for the review. I LOVE steve adler. He was the back bone of that band. They completely changed after he was thrown out. Glad to hear he has his **** together as well. He could have very easily been the next Mike Starr. LOVE to see Slash throw him a bone and record something with him and Iggy. [​IMG]

3. Brooks

Brooks Member

iggy or izzy?

my pals SPANK are opening for addlers appetite june 12 here in greensboro nc.
    SPANK is a great band, and cool guys. their last few albums were produced by mitch easter (REM, lets active), and a single produced by beau hill (ratt, winger).
    http://myspace.com/spankonline

4. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Iggy. But I guess izzy would be cool too...........[​IMG]

5. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

I saw them with Izzy and Duff at the Key Club. It was during a sober phase for Steve and he killed it. I was bummed that Slash was there too and didn't play one song with the band.

[​IMG]

6. smcgov

smcgov Member

Agreed...they had much less soul after he was tossed....very sterile sounding, I guess a lot of that was Axl taking over as well...funny that the best recording of them during that era was probably the live on MTV thing and Axl is saying "we're probably the sloppiest band in the world"

7. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

how did Steven look? Has he gotten himself together?

8. smcgov

smcgov Member

He looked good, smiling the whole time. His playing was excellent as well.

9. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

That is is good to hear. I couldn't give a **** about Axel, But a Band reunion would be HUGE. The Singer on Slash's disc , Its 5:00 somewhere, does Axel better then Axel anyways. Maybe Slash standing by and not playing was him comptemplating the whole thing. Or maybe Matt Sorum was with him and he didn't want to bend him over.

10. lpfella

lpfella Member

that wasn't the end of the quote, nor the best part of the quote. The rest goes, "but I don't really give a ****."

11. V-Type

V-Type Member

A couple of guys have said they are better than expected which is very cool too hear.
    My bass players other band is one of the opening acts for them here in Detroit this week and Im their "roadie" for this gig.
    Hopefully the guys will make themselves available so I can post pic's and gear/musician quotes from them.
    I think the guy from Enuff Znuff is in the band as well.
    The only bummer is it is a Wed work night.
    Should be fun though.

12. blood5150

blood5150 Member

I think losing Izzy had something to do with that missing soul too...

13. smcgov

smcgov Member

agreed, I was making the piont that it was on his mind and considering what happened he probably wasn't a fan of the "loosness", which I thought was very Stones like and made that version of the band far superior to any subsequent version...

14. V-Type

V-Type Member

Adler and Izzy was the soul of that band and every incarnation after them has been Meh at best with the latest Axl hand picked players failing horribly imo.
    No knock on the players mind you just Axl is well a douche and a fraction of the frontman he used too be.
    Thank God for residuals or Rose would be working at Crack Donalds imo.

15. smcgov

smcgov Member

agree 100%, Matt + Gilby < Izzy + Steve although technically probably much better players

16. smcgov

smcgov Member

Chip Znuff is the bass player and is quite good...and a very cool guy, he hung out after with our contingent at a show last year.

17. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

The only player I can't diss is Gilby Clark. I lOVE that guy. His solo disc gets regular play in my garage. I almost HOPE Axel is not a part of anything if and when they get together.

18. Marshalls Law

Marshalls Law Member

I'm glad that Stephen Adler has sobered up to have his own band. Since I am a drummer originally I can tell you that GnR was a totally different band once Adler was kicked out. Matt Sorum is just a very stiff lifeless drummer. Adler had a swing and feel that made that band. Listening to AFD versus Use your illusion...completely different feel. The only two songs on Use your illusion that were great had adler on them...Civil War and You Could be Mine. I'm fairly certain Adler played on those two songs...

I wish him the best of luck.

19. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

I love that dude. I hope he gets a shot at the reunion or whatever comes to pass.

20. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

No You could be mine was all Sorum. I'm a drummer as well and agree with you completely. look at how many songs started off with a Cowbell and a groove. The Guy was the ****. I'm really surprised Slash doesn't see this and take advantage of his oldest friends Soberity.