• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Admit it, you own a Klon because of TGP

Shiny_Beast

Gold Supporting Member
Reading that "new Klon available" thread actually has me pondering picking one up for myself, which is really stupid because ...

1) I use amp distortion, OD pedals are just problem solvers to me
2) pedals I do like have no relation to the tube screamer family
3) If I use a boost it'll be a EP or rangemaster style pedal
4) I'm not really a pedal whore, so it's not like it's inevitable
5) I could build something close enough if I really was that curious

#2 is only half valid, I've seen the schematic, it's got a foot in a couple camps, which is probably what set's it apart. Still, I can't beleive I'm considering getting one "just because", it's complete lunacy.

lol, so who here owns a Klon pretty much through osmosis hanging out here, anyone?

Rumors of War

TGP was the tipping point for me. Seeing some of the heavy hitters that use it and the dudes from ToneQuest swear by it, so I finally got one. Someday I'll get another.

jimtaka

I'm sure I will own one of the new ones when they come out. And yes the desire is mostly rooted in osmosis.

StompBoxBlues

If you want to be precise, I bet many folks own a Klon for the same reason I do...put it this way

I became INTERESTED in the Klon because of TGP. I bought the Klon because of research and a good deal because of pro musicians I know use it (Warren Haynes probably being the thing that tipped it for me), but
I OWN the Klon because after buying it, I found out I love the thing, and what it can do for my sound.

I didn't keep it "because TGP says its great" I keep it because I hear what it does for me.

cajone5

Some guy
I have yet to get one but I can certainly blame TGP for most of my gear purchases over the last year. It just seems like reckless overspending on gear, pedals specifically, is just the price of admission here... and I fell into the trap...

That being said - I can't wait for the new Klon to come out! ;)

rabbit

I DON´T own one because of TGP :) reasons being

1) it´s like the epitome of corksniffery, in a way (sorry for that), and I´d feel kinda "ackward/ embarrassed" to own one (considering chops, non-pro player status, risk of damage!); but more importantly because:
2) TGP taught me that there is quite a number of pedals that can get you 95% there
3) those pedals that can get you 95% there cost a fraction of the price of Klon

No hatin´just sayin´. Another reason might be that I´ve been happy with my dedicated boost pedal for many years, no need to change anything.

Seegs

I actually became aware of and owned and sold my first Klon becaue of Harmony Central LoL!!

TGP wasn't even a twinkle in PaPa's eye back then...

I bought my second and third Klon here on the Emporium because I already knew how it sounded

Chow,
Seegs

alberob

I have one because I played Frakenstrat 2 's Klon and Loved it,Not because of Gear Page idle chatter.

Stratobuc

Same here - no Klon, but plenty TGP G.A.S. pedals.

....and all of them have been winners - save one.....

Amp360

I used to hang around a now defunct store in Boston called Cambridge Music. Bill used to bring in Klon pedals for them to sell.

I bought mine there for $235.00 IIRC in maybe 1995 or 96. It was right when he started bringing them in, I may have bought the second or third one they sold.

I never heard of anyone else using one until I came here.

I honestly have an old DOD Bi-Fet on my board I take out because it was about $15.00 and sounds a hell of a lot like my Klon (more so then most of the clones I've heard) and if it gets stolen I won't care so much.

jboyjams

Nah - I bought one because of some pros using it and the ebay frenzy. I had a mint Gold one with the logo. I sold it because I could not relax at gigs with that sitting on the floor at the dive I was playing at - and I could get similar results with much cheaper pedals that are true bypass. I swear when I set a CTO-1 (Danelectro Timmy rip off) to clean boost it sounded a lot like the KLON - that prompted me to sell it - currently using a KOT.

Silver are going $650 - $850 and Gold $900 - $1100.

Don't get me wrong - the Klon is a great pedal - if I was rich I'd have one again. Many alternatives out there these days though.

TenneyThe2nd

No Klon here, but I did get a Screwdriver, DLS, Zendrive, TIM, and M9 because of TGP.

...wait, that's my whole board...

Top Bottom