Admittedly dumb questions about amp power cables

plawren53202

So last night I was unplugging the power cord for my AC30CC2 from the wall outlet when the ground prong broke off and remained in the outlet. This was late last night so I didn't have a chance to cut the power to that outlet to pull the prong out yet.

Couple of what are probably really stupid questions about the power cord:

(1) It looks like the ground prong just pulled out of the plug--that is, when I look inside the hole where it was it doesn't look like there is any remaining metal it broke free from; it just looks like all rubber/plastic/whatever the plug head is made of. Is that all the ground prong consists of? I am wondering if once I pull it out of the outlet I can just stick it back in the plug and be good to go.

(2) If I do need to get a new power cord for the amp, are all power cords the same? I have about a hundred of these three prong cords that fit the plug-in on the amp, from various musical devices (keyboards, rack units, other amps etc.) Do the cords have a certain amp rating that I would need to match with the original? Or are they all basically interchangeable?

There's a reason I don't work on electrical stuff...

yeah, dont use a damaged powercable or even try to repair it. the potential for danger is too great for how cheap they are.

all that music gear, computer gear, etc. all the same. just grab another.

Candycola

The connectors may be the same, however the internal wire gauge may be different .. Look on the outside jacket of the old cable to verify voltage and ampacity ratings ... Rating may say something along the lines of 14 awg or 12 awg .. AWG = amercan wire gauge and is how cables in the states are rated ..

tele_player

The connectors may be the same, however the internal wire gauge may be different .. Look on the outside jacket of the old cable to verify voltage and ampacity ratings ... Rating may say something along the lines of 14 awg or 12 awg .. AWG = amercan wire gauge and is how cables in the states are rated ..
Correct, but I don't think I've ever seen an IEC cable that's inadequate for a guitar amp.

Trending Topics