• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

adrian belew & animal sounds

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
i have his video from back in '85, he shows how he makes a lot of those sounds in it (can't remember the name of it to save my life).
he has a huge rack of analog gear/rack stuff. he talks a bit about the "new" at the time, eh-16 sec digital delay-he calls it his digital tape machine.

but he gives a pretty good instruction on how he makes his sounds & the gear he uses, i would guess now he uses a lot of digital modeling amp stuff (line 6 stuff) to create his sounds...
he is inspiring and a great singer/songwriter/guitarist....

cbguy

Green & Gold Supporter
Belew with King Crimson doing one of my favorites, "Elephant Talk"

Todd Lynch

Cool, cbguy - I'd not seen that particular vid before - dig this tune, remember it from when it was first released and being not only somewhat blown away, but completely confounded at the general nature of the music. I was coming from a Jeff Beck/Queen/The Cars mentality at that time... ? '82 or so?

seiko

i have his video from back in '85, he shows how he makes a lot of those sounds in it (can't remember the name of it to save my life).
he has a huge rack of analog gear/rack stuff. he talks a bit about the "new" at the time, eh-16 sec digital delay-he calls it his digital tape machine.

but he gives a pretty good instruction on how he makes his sounds & the gear he uses, i would guess now he uses a lot of digital modeling amp stuff (line 6 stuff) to create his sounds...
You can kind of strip most of the animal sounds down to compressor-fuzz-flanger-touch of delay and Belew's kooky techniques though.

mjm59

This video (Adrian Belew Electronic Guitar) has been long out of print but some kind soul, Jeffrey Collins, has made it available on Youtube in 6 installments. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreycollins#p/u (This is his Youtube homepage so you can easily access all the parts)