Advanced player needs an acoustic!

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by papersoul, Nov 24, 2017.

1. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Yamaha 'L' series. The LL6 would suit your budget; has a nice chunky neck which you won't get with Taylor or Martin, and has much better spec than anything basically 'entry level' from US builders for a similar outlay. Here:

2. papersoul

papersoul Supporting Member

Thanks bro...good advice. I am really interested in that Yamaha and Taylor, both listed here. I am also looking at an Epiphone Materbuilt which I used to like, but Taylors play so darn well! :)

3. papersoul

Thanks bro! I am leaning toward Yamaha now! I wish more of them came with a case. Look nice and I do like Yamaha quite a bit.
    What about the Yamaha A1M?

Guys - What about Ibanez and Taylor?

So, this Yamaha LL6 seems perfect! But, I read it is not a good rock guitar, it is more of a folk style guitar, and needs to be played with a bass.

can't see if it has a built in tuner or electronics, so I will have to read about it today. I like that it doesn't have a cutaway body. I prefer a full size acoustic and I don't solo on acoustics, nor do I record. I can always get a clip on tuner.
    The nut width is 1.75 which is nice!!!

Do you suggest new or used? Sweetwater currently has a few demo models on their site for $449.

Oh! I found an 11 year old Yamaha LL6 with hard case on Ebay for $200. The guys knows what he is talking about, and I am trying to get more info from him. I don't know how much that model has changed in recent years and if an 11 year old is the right choice? I don't need a cutaway or pickup system and I can buy a clip on tuner.
    Thoughts? If I can get this new one, I can spend some money to upgrade all the plastic garbage like the nut and saddles.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  4. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

The new LL6 has nothing on it to suggest it's an electro-no knobs, no tuner; nothing except the endpin jack and a great-sounding UST pickup. The older version had no pickup. If I were you I'd go for the new version with the A.R.E wood treatment. It really does make a difference to the tone.
    This (old) video only mentions the A.R.E treatment on 26 and 36 models, but both the 6 and 16 now enjoy the same technology.

5. papersoul

Ok, great! Thanks! Clips I hear of it sounds great! I wonder if I can find a good padded Yamaha acoustic case. Seems like the perfect acoustic for my needs which are minimal and it does have a pickup if I ever need to do a quick recording. I will just grab a little clip on tuner. I don't need the cutaway, electronics, built in tuner, etc. So, is the $449 demo model a good price?
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LL6Rd

6. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Yes, definitely worth having-and a Yamaha foam case comes included with these in England, but Kraft Music (no affiliation), say you get a hardshell case.

7. Rich b in tempe

Rich b in tempe Member

He told us his budget! Read on!

8. papersoul

Thanks bro. I didn't see anything about the hardshell case. I will double check. I would want to upgrade the nut and saddles to bone.

What about Seagull acoustic guitars? This is my guitar tech's recommendation.
    How about Epiphone Masterbuilt acoustics?

The Kraft Music deal I just checked out. I could get the LL6 for 449 and a used case or get the Kraft Music deal for 569, all included.

9. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

I can't speak to your Epiphone suggestion, but I briefly owned a Seagull S6 and couldn't get on with it. Tonally it sounded a bit 'thin' and insubstantial. I guess the mix of cedar top and laminated cherry didn't work for me. I'm also considering a bone upgrade for my LL16, although it sounds pretty good already. I'd keep the original saddle, just in case though...

10. papersoul

snakestretcher,
    Thanks again! My tech recommended the Seagull as being so close to Taylor and we both love Taylor, but the Taylors I have played are in the thousands.

That said, the Yamaha is still my first choice now! You have the LL16? How is that different from the LL6 that I am considering? Thanks!

11. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

Yes ... he edited his post.

12. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Apart from the LL6 having laminate back and sides as opposed to the all-solid LL16, build-wise fit and finish are very similar. Bracing and top wood are the same, but you get rosewood instead of ebony for the bridge and fingerboard. Tuners and pickup are the same on both. The 16 sounds richer, fuller and has maple body binding not plastic (as on the 6). However the 6 is a great guitar in its own right; Yamaha don't know how to make a bad instrument, whether a grand piano or a piccolo.

13. papersoul

Sorry guys I didn't include that initially.

14. papersoul

Thanks for the i for on the LL16. I would consider one used for the right price but I just don't play enough acoustic. Are there any solid wood a ousting you would recommend for that money?

The Epiphone Master built models are solid, no laminate and are great and used they are $500 or less.

15. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

At this price point, your local shop would have dozens of different makes and models. Yamaha, Alvarez, Epiphone, Takamine, Breedlove, Seagull, Ibanez ... or find some of the highly rated imports from China like Blue Ridge, Eastman. Low end Taylors (1xx and 2xx models) can be had used. Low end Martins ("X" models) can be found in that price range, too. If one is particular about the neck profile (I know that I am) then the ONLY solution is get to a shop and try some out. A verbal description in a forum isn't gonna cut it.

I can't make a recommendation, since guitars at this end of the spectrum can vary considerably from one specimen to the next. And admittedly, I play (much) more expensive instruments ... not to brag, just to say that I'm not up to speed on entry level acoustic guitars.

16. papersoul

I wonder if I should just skip an acoustic. Any acoustic I have ever owned in 30 years, hardly never got played. I have a lot of expensive electrics because that is what I play. Always found acoustics and acoustic music sort of boring, LOL. I will have to think about this....

Thanks guys!

17. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

I've always thought just the opposite ... and find endless single-note noodling and wankerage on distorted electric guitars to be boring ... ;) ... good thing there's something for everyone!

18. s2y

s2y Member

I must not be advanced enough. I love acoustics.

19. papersoul

I went and played a bunch of acoustics today and fell in love with a Taylor 114E. I fell in love with everything about it from the feel to tone. I can't stop playing it. Best neck I have ever felt on an acoustic that I have ever owned. Loving it. I paid more than I wanted, but I love it!