1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Advanced player needs an acoustic!

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by papersoul, Nov 24, 2017.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  2. rwmct

rwmct Member

Lots of guys who are primarily electric players seem to like the necks on Taylors, so I am not surprised.

3. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

I'm an electric player primarily, I have 2 acoustics, a Seagull S6 that was given to me by my uncle about 10 years ago and a Martin HD-35 that I inherited when he passed recently. I don't play much acoustic but I can tell you that the Seagull neck is much more familiar to electric necks than the Martin and many others I've played. It's VERY comfortable to play. If you're just looking for something to strum around the house the Seagull may be a good fit for you. Not to mention you can get them for about $300.

4. papersoul

papersoul Member

I have heard that and I can totally see why. It's unreal.

5. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

He wants spend $500 or less, not $2000... buy a Mexican Martin.... bigger necks... nice guitars

6. papersoul

papersoul Member

This Taylor is amazing. Love it!

7. kbraker51

kbraker51 Member

Used and new guilds are in your range...

8. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Member

My first thought was Martin D-18....until I saw the budget.

Hmm....in that price range, I think anything from Yamaha to Martin's X series would be ok. You can get a PRS SE on sale sometimes around that price point, but if you open your budget to $750 you will open a world of great options.

9. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Member

In my opinion, you need to open your budget to $750-1000 to get a decent "new" acoustic guitar. I've seen Taylor 314s sell used for $700-800, so you might want to check those out. Taylors don't lack low end, but they have a top end that some makes don't have. They are very balanced and are great for recording. I still tend to choose Martin for the sound.

If it were me and wood type wasn't an issue, I'd look into a Martin D-15.

10. s2y

s2y Member

He already bought one.

Depends on what people are looking for. A lot of electric guitarists approach acoustic as a secondary instrument. In that case, most things will do. Focus a lot more on acoustic and higher end models start to become a lot more useful from the delicate fingerstyle acoustics to banjo killin' dreadnoughts.

11. papersoul

papersoul Member

Yes, I bought a Taylor 314 and love it! Martins never did it for me like Taylors! Always loved Taylors so I had to buy one and am in love with it. The feel and tone are exactly what I always wanted in an acoustic.
    "A lot of electric guitarists approach acoustic as a secondary instrument."
    Exactly!