Advice For A Gibson SG Special Faded

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dempmi, Jun 11, 2008.

1. dempmi

dempmi Member

Greetings folks...a friend turned me onto this site and I'm hoping that y'all can lend a hand.

I've got a Gibson SG Special Faded that I got a few years ago on craigslist. Overall I'm very happy with the guitar. I love the look and the tone. Really...my only bone of contention is that I haven't had much success with the intonation as well as some buzzing on the strings. I've taken it to a pretty highly regarded guitar tech (I see someone is selling one of his custom guitars on here right now) who did a set up for me but that didn't solve the problem with the buzzing. I've fiddled around with the bridge myself a few times trying to get it right but I haven't been able to solve the problem. Plus every time I change the strings the pieces all come apart and I don't think that is helping me any either.

So I'm at a point now where I'm pretty frustrated. I'm fairly new at guitar so I'm not the greatest player to begin with and when I do play it kills me that the simple stuff I can do is wrecked by this problem.

I'm thinking that I might be able to solve my problem all together by simply upgrading the bridge & tail piece to something more stable. Can anyone give me any suggestions for brands? I've heard good things about Tonepros. Does anyone have any feedback good or bad on Tonepros?

I've also thought about covering the pickups. I saw a few pics of SG Specials here where folks have covered them up. How do the pickup covers impact the sound? What the overall opinion on covering them up?

Anyway...this post is a marathon so if you're still reading...THANKS! Appreciate the advice! Have a great night folks!

Mike

2. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Hi. Welcome.

Tonepros will certainly stop the tail piece from falling off. There is a huge debate about Tonepros here if you do a search. I personally think they help with sustain. I only have the mounting studs from Tonepros. I like lightweight aluminum tail pieces on Gibson style guitars.

If the tech has set things up well, it may be the frets need some work - crowning, filing, etc. Not sure where you are from, but here in Illinois the humidity has started up, and that can affect the straightness of the neck.

As for pickups, I would guess most people here would tell you to buy a replacement set of upgraded pickups instead of covering those you have. I have never played a faded, but I will guess that pickups may be one area Gibson tried to save a little money on. Some here will say Gibson is making some great pickups these days. Do a search. There must be 1000+ threads on humbuckers around here.

Again, welcome. Good luck on your search!

3. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Buzzing can be how your fretting the guitar, I play at the frets, which seems to eliminate buzzing, you might try that to see if it fixes the problem, also playing around and finding ways that eliminate the buzzing would be good.

4. straightblues

straightblues Member

If it buzzed when you got it back from the tech, take it back and tell him to make it not buzz. Sometimes techs don't get it right.

Never take all of your strings off at once. Do them one at a time so your bridge and tailpiece don't fall off. The stock bridge and tailpiece should be fine on that guitar. I wouldn't change them. They are not likely your problem. Your problem is the nut, the relief of the neck, or high frets. Take it back to the tech and ask him what is up. If you have high frets, have them leveled and crowned. This cost about $100 or so. They won't do it unless you request it.

5. dempmi

dempmi Member

Thanks...this has been some great advice.

As far as taking the guitar back to the tech goes...I missed the boat on that. It was a while ago that I got the setup. And tentative to get another set up because I'm afraid the same problem will creep up again.

Now that you mention it, perhaps the frets do need some work. I'll definately look into that.

I'll look for those threads about the humbuckers later on!

Thanks again!

6. 5E3

5E3 Member

I'm with Straigblues ... when I change strings I remove the old strings one or two at a time. I don't remove them all at once. That will keep your bridge in place.

7. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

First of all, I think these are great guitars. Fat necks, thin finish and good tone. I'd get a bone nut, have the frets dressed or plekked, install a set of decent quality humbuckers (Duncan Antiquities are an economical choice), I would first add a little clear nail polish to the bridge screws to keep them from buzzing, then see where it is before installing a Tonepros system. That Tone pros will help, but it just could be the screws rattling in the bridge and that can be remedied by a little nail polish.

8. KazJY

KazJY Member

Tonepros rules.

I had a 61 SG RI that I never played because it was almost lifeless. Now, I play it so much more.

9. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Sell that roach!