Advice for boost and something else

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jota, Oct 14, 2016.

1. jota

jota Member

My board right now has a Spark boost, a Fuzz Head, a KoT, a tuner and a Flashback delay mini.
    The Spark is a great pedal and I use it as a light OD and to gain up the first channel of my KoT but I've been using the Fuzz into the boost side of the KoT for that and I feel I could use a boost after the KoT. One that I could control the tone and add a little dirt too would be a bonus.
    Yes, I could just use the Spark but I'm thinking something else...
    Two different ideas:

- Using a tremolo like the Supatrem or the Black Cat Mini Trem as boost/trem:
    I don't use trem that much but I could use some here and there. Both these pedals can do boost and add another speed/intensity to work as trem.
    The Supatrem seems to work best for this as you can have boost without trem.
    The Black Cat is smaller but you always have some trem going even with the speed all the way down. Not really a problem, I think.

- Ditching the Flashback and adding a Strymon Deco:
    I use two different times on the Flashback: slapback and a little longer delay for lead work. Nothing too long, just a little longer than the slapback.
    The Deco can add dirt and seems to be able to control the high end and the low end with the secundary functions.
    The only downside is I would loose the Strum tempo function on the Flashback.
    Oh, it's a d@mn expensive pedal too!

What do you say?

2. beexter

beexter Member

FWIW, I had a Spark Mini at the end of my chain but preferred using my Suhr Jack Rabbit Trem as a volume boost instead - depth all the way down and volume to taste. Sold the Spark and don't miss it - it seemed to thin out my tone a smidge which the Jack Rabbit doesn't do. As the Jack Rabbit is towards the end of my chain it works really well and as I'm not using trem on every song, the fact that it serves double duty as a very usable boost is a bonus and frees up a space on my board.

3. jota

jota Member

I like the idea but I'd like to be able to stomp on something to turn on/off the trem part of the pedal.

4. beexter

beexter Member

In that case, look into the Dr. Scientist Tremolessence.......

5. jota

jota Member

Don't know that one.
    What's the advantage?
    I just saw an used Supatrem locally and I'm thinking about giving it a go.

6. jota

jota Member

Well, I just noticed that the Supatrem adds a bit of high end to the sound with the pedal volume pushed... not what i want.
    Deco looks great but that's a lot of money...
    Deco users, please chime in.

7. jkg

jkg Supporting Member

Wait, why are you not just using the boost side of the KOT for a boost?

8. jota

jota Member

I can't make it work.
    It sounds too trebly and harsh. I would actually love to be able to switch the order of the channels but I have high gain in the red channel and I can't make the yellow channel sound like it! It's not even about the amount of gain. It's really about a different sound.
    The red channel is fatter and smoother. And yes, I've messed with the internal trim pots.
    If I could have the boost before the OD I think it would work a lot better cause it's how I've been using the Spark.
    By the way, my Kot is a clone. Not an original.

9. jkg

jkg Supporting Member

And you have it sent to Boost and not OD on the yellow side? Man, trebly and harsh are the last two words I would use to describe that channel on my KOT. But if it does not work it does not work. So then use the yellow side set to OD as your low gain option and put the Spark after?

10. beexter

beexter Member

I believe you can have it set up to boost permanently and set the footswitch to momentary so the tremolo fades in when pressed. I think it accepts an expression pedal input too.

11. jota

jota Member

No, the channel by itself sounds fabulous. Combining both is where the treble sets in.
    Yes, I could have the Spark after as I said but I was looking for adding something else other than just a boost.

Didn't find that option but I'll check it.
    I don't want to use expression pedals. Have no room for them.

12. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

The Mini Trem will work as a boost without the trem if you turn the Depth all the way down (regardless of where the Speed is set).

13. jota

jota Member

I noticed that but I wish the speed switch would work kinda like the soft/hard switch on the supatrem where you can have a setting with no trem and just the boost and another with both the boost and the trem.