Advice for iPhone use for recording a gig

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by bluesdoc, Feb 16, 2017.

1. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

It's a performance of 3 of us in a house living room for about 15 people. It's a once in a lifetime reunion with a guy with whom I had a band back in '69 and we're going to do a little show for friends. I'd love to capture it on video, but am clueless how to manage that from the 'stage'- one end of the LR. I'm looking into a remote stop/start bluetooth thingy and I'll need a case/holder to put it on a tripod. Does the front facing camera work better than the 'selfie' camera? I'm looking into getting a Shure MV88 for the sound. Positioning it will be a challenge in a small room with a lot of people (for that size room). Anyone have any suggestions? I have an iPhone 6s. Thanks guys.

jon

2. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Give the phone to a buddy to record you guys. That's what I always do.

3. bluesdoc

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

definitely use the "real" camera on it, the one on the back.

rig it up on a stand, aim it and take a couple test clips to make sure it's getting everybody, then just hit video record and go for it. the video and audio from those things is first rate these days.

5. macuaig

macuaig Member

Mics are about placement, and the mic should almost never be where the camera is. That said, for a simple event like you're planning the MV88 on an iPhone isn't a bad idea. I use one for voice recording, and it's surprisingly versatile. Better than the phone mic for quality and better directionality. But it's not a shotgun mic, you still want it close, unless it's ok to hear the crowd as much as the band, all all a bit in the distance.

I would love to find a Lightning extension cable, again because it's always a good idea to get the mic closer than the camera. But you could also get some adapters that would let you put a standard stage mic on a cable, and then into the phone.

Part of the MV88 is a nice little recorder app with more options. Your direction there depends on how you end up plugging in, and I haven't followed through that far.

6. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Buy a selfie stick with a standard camcorder tripod threaded insert in the handle, put on tripod and record the video. Shure MV88 mic is pretty excellent too I think.

7. bluesdoc

The audience will be listening, not dancing and carrying on, so I think we'll be the only sound for the most part.

All good food for thought.... Thanks guys.

jon

8. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

If you mean without any external microphone, sound quality is only going to be adequate. I use an old Zoom H2 and when I get lucky, it can sound fantastic. Even my engineer was surprised at some live things we did lately. Digital clocks are so accurate in these devices that syncing video to audio is easy in just about any DAW. I'd recommend finding a used H2 on CL or Ebay for $60-100 and using that in conjunction with multiple iPhone video cameras. This would allow some nice editing possiblities and great sounding video that you'll enjoy. Once you turn them all on and make sure that the mic sensitivity is set to low, you can all but ignore it all night. An 4 Gig SD card will hold several hours of audio.

Hope that helps.

9. bluesdoc

Selfie stick on to tripod instead of some small holder? Just to get more height or?

10. bluesdoc

I really like your sig :)

11. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

That's what I use and works perfectly.