Advice for music selection

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by jimmybcool, Aug 6, 2005.

1. jimmybcool

jimmybcool Supporting Member

OK, I'm not asking for what styles to learn and play. I know what I like.

But as a newbie I am having trouble putting together entire songs I can play. Or even extended riffs.

Look, lets be honest here. I woould like to achieve some level of ability so if I am in a guitar store and see something I want to try I can do something that sounds like music. Or if someone visits my condo and says hey - play something.

So far the only song I can play most of is Blackbird. Kewl enuf. I am working in SRV Pride and Joy but I don't see me getting that level of "flailing" down for a long time.

I keep trying songs, get a little into it and realize I must either be a master to play the song without a rythm and bass and such.

So, name some basic songs that work without backup and can be learned by the begginer to intermidiate player.

Thanks people.

2. spencerbk

spencerbk Member

3. StevenA

StevenA Member

Beginner: Sweet Melissa , Allman Bros.

Intermediate: Hesitation Blues, Jourma Kaukonen(sp)

4. jimmybcool

Spencer,

I am now getting out pad and paper. That is a good thread. I assumed before diving in that it was for a more advanced player. But not so. Thanks

Steven

Sweet Melisa - one of my all time favorite songs - is EASY. I actually have the tab for that and tmorrow I will give that a go. I LOVE the ABs.

Thanks guys.

Jim

5. jimmybcool

I don''t undertand. I have the tab for Sweet Melissa. And it is NOT right. I just spent an hour figuring out the chord shifts in this song. OK. no laughing. You were beginners once too. If I didn't know what it sounded like I would never have got it right.

The book it comes in is labeled Tab for Easy guitar.

I think in some demented universe this means no bar chords. As if it is easier to change chord shapes all over the place than to slide up and down the neck. Idiots. I feel like writing the printer asking for a refund.

But in the end, you were right that SM is easy and sounds excellent even when I hack it. I am making real progress. I feel I am only a few hours of drill to actually play this song some day. This is one of the good days.

Thanks

:dude

6. hear and play

hear and play Member

7. jimmybcool

Thanks. Yeah, I have the same frustration as that guy in your thread. But, lots better now.

I have almost finished Blackbird. But that is kinda smaltzy if a group of guys says "play that guitar in the corner". Actually, so is Melissa. But I almost got two down.

I am also now working on 'Behind Blue Eyes" by Limp Biskit (or whatever). I got it right I just can't play it automatically AND sing at the same time. And I still stumble too often for my liking.

My lessons are geared mostly around theory and such so far. I am a pentatonic scaler from hell. I spend time every day working these and learning the 4ths and 5ths. Each day I get in maybe 2 practice sessions of about an hour plus during any TV time I am working finger drills for fingerpicking on my old Guild acoustic (man does THAT hurt the fingers).

But I am a whiner. Been back at guitar now for 6 weeks after a 25 year layoff. It is slower coming back than I "wanted". But it is coming.

My original plan was replace Vai as guitar god within 6 months and world domination after a year. Guess it might take a bit longer. ;)

8. hear and play

hear and play Member

Absolutely -- don't expect miracles.

From your practice routine, you're looking at a conservative 8-10 months to surpass Vai and as long as 14-15 mo for world domination.

Arnold wasn't built in a day.

:cool:

9. jimmybcool

(sigh) The heavy load. The dedication. Well, if it's gonna take longer than 8 MONTHS then I'm just going back to golf. :rolleyes:

I would practice MORE but my neck/back and hands hurt after an hour at most. Just can't do it.

10. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

:O BLASPHEMY!!!! The Who wrote that song, and of course it sounded much better with Roger Daltry singing it, and Pete Townshend playing...

11. jimmybcool

I prostrate myself on the court of opinion.

I have blashemed.

I shall now go recite 20 Hail Who as pennance.

12. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

lol Werd er... uh.. you may go in peace, my son