Advice for my Carmen Ghia

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ddamanti, Feb 9, 2008.

1. ddamanti

ddamanti Member

Hello all! Just picked up a Dr. Z Carmen Ghia 1x12 Combo. I'm having a blast with it and loving the tone with its Alnico Blue speaker. This, however, is my first tube amp I've owned...Any advice on general upkeep, or info on how to get the most out of it?

2. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Don't keep it in an unheated space in the winter. If you carry it around get a cover.
    These are fun because they respond real well to preamp tube changes. I like lower gain tubes like 5751 and 12AY7s in mine. This amp uses a 5Y3 rectifier tube so it's pretty easy on the output tubes. They should last 300 hours or more. Use the tone pot on your guitar if it sounds a little bright sometimes. You can go from lead to clean just by turning down your guitar. these are loud enough to gig with if the drummer and bass player don't play loud. Very unique and wonderful amp. they can also be quite revealing of your guitar's electronics and cables. If you can make things sound good thru your Ghia they will sound good in anything. The Ghia doesn't cover up flaws in your other gear the way some amps do.

3. cyrja

cyrja Supporting Member

anything else?

4. ddamanti

ddamanti Member

Nice. Thanks for the heads up. I can't believe the difference in tone...this amp is simply amazing.

5. ddamanti

ddamanti Member

6. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Nice amp! But I have a question. Was it originally a head that was converted to a combo? The reason I ask is it seems strange that the valence covers up half the Volume and Tone labels. I wouldn't think Dr Z would do that on purpose...

7. ddamanti

ddamanti Member

I'm not sure...bought used. But if it was converted, it was a hell of a job because the entire thing is very solid.

8. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

also, the on/off switch seems to go side to side, and not up and down...

great amp though, i have a black head w/ a matching Z 1x12 and its sweet!

9. ddamanti

ddamanti Member

No, the switch does move up and down...love the Z...it's my second; I mean I recently bought a 350Z...now this...maybe I'll buy a Z.Vex pedal next!

10. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

It looks like that cab could be from a different model.

At any rate, nice amp!

Thanks

11. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    You probably already know this, but the tone knob is reversed, meaning for more treble you turn it counter-clockwise, for more bass you turn it clockwise.

When I bought my first Carmen Ghia I didn't read the intructions and thought to myself, man this amp is too bright, and kept turning the tone knob down and it got worse. Finally I found the instructions, man it proved to me again, not to just jump in without reading the instructions. Who would of thought you needed instructions for a two knob amp?

TheGrooveking