Advice for potentiometer upgrade - 2017 Les Paul R0

tweedphan

Hi folks - seeking advice. I’m looking to upgrade the pots on my 2017 R0 to get a more linear taper. Which are the best ones to buy? I’m based in the UK but am expecting to order from US as supplies here seem to be sold out.
Thanks in advance. And hope this is the correct Forum !!

pappy35

The Art of Tone (google it) has sets of CTS 500 Ohm "vintage taper" pots that I used for the volume pots in the Epi I just upgraded.

I initially went with CTS 500k 2% matched audio taper for all four but the 90/10 taper in the volume positions basically meant that I went from full-on to zip between 10-7. Below 7 the signal was basically gone. They made the volume act like an on-off switch. This works well for the tone pots because electrically they work backwards so the highs slow taper down from 10-3 and then drop off quickly from 3-0.

Pots are cheap but make sure you have at least a 50 watt iron and good solder (Get Kester 63/37, you'll thank me later). It's a eutectic solder that doesn't go through a clay-like phase as it cools. It goes from liquid directly to solid phase making cold solder joints all but impossible.

I'm not an electronics guy, I only know any of this because I just spent $100 on parts and tools and hours and hours watching Youtube videos about soldering guitar electronics. I have CLS (COVID Lockdown Syndrome) really bad.

Before:
IMG_20200222_123312.jpg

After:
IMG_20200724_114208.jpg

Attachments

tweedphan

Thanks for all your recommendations folks. I’m searching the internet for options. I’ll get the tech I use to solder them in. And I sympathise with CLS !!

JoeYello

Silver Supporting Member
RS Guitarworks has kits available with matching 500k pots with various caps. I have them in my Les Pauls. Worth a look and consideration.

Last edited:

Ozzie31220

Look at the options from 920D Custom Shop (a.k.a. Sigler.) They have a wide range of options. 50s style wiring, modern wiring, push-pull configurations, orange drops, bumble bees, etc.

I have the 50s style wiring version in my LP Standard Gold Top, fantastic taper on the volume and tones. 500K CTS pots all around. High quality.

nl128

Gold Supporting Member
The R&S kits are pricey but in my experience are the best for a smooth long taper.
I have R&S pots in most of my guitars and they’ve worked great every time.

icr

Hi folks - seeking advice. I’m looking to upgrade the pots on my 2017 R0 to get a more linear taper. Which are the best ones to buy? I’m based in the UK but am expecting to order from US as supplies here seem to be sold out.
Thanks in advance. And hope this is the correct Forum !!
Potentiometers made in Asia and the USA are usually marked with an "A" for logarithmic taper or a "B" for linear taper; "C" for the rarely seen reverse logarithmic taper.

Mr Fingers

The OP asks for "more linear taper" pots and gets recommendations for various audio taper. OK. Wanna rec for a really great Les Paul? Try a '63 Strat. What? There's nothing "more linear" than a linear pot. But if you mean something with less dramatic rolloff at either to top or bottom of rotation, well, good luck. I've tried everything listed here and some or better or worse in terms of consistent audible effect, but none are actually all that good, and heaven knows that they are inconsistently made and vary depending on pickups and caps and kind of wiring. I'm totally amazed that no one makes an adjustable pot that you can fine-tune, but they don't.

IanRubbish

Gold Supporting Member
I think Bourns are the best for Les Paul's, such a great usable range from 1-10. But they seem to go bad quickly, I've had issues with them on a few guitars where they just stop turning, but they sound the best to me. I have CTS in mine even though I think they have a crappy range. I wish the Bourns were as well made as CTS because I think they sound better. But people have widely different opinions on pots, I think they matter as much as any other part after all the experimentation I've done.

Trending Topics