Advice for selling a 1959 Fender Telecaster at Guitar Show

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by erictx, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erictx

erictx Member

OK so I have this 59 fender that was my grandfathers, he was preacher and took very good care of it, it's near mint, has all original parts(even the ash tray) and case. It even have the original key and chain holding it to the handle for the lock on the case.
    I talked with a vintage guitar shop and was advise to first try and sell it at the Dallas Guitar show, so I wouldn't have to pay the %20 fee and wait for him to find a buyer.

I want around $20,000 for the guitar, now the price is negotiable especially if paying cash. I know this price is lest then retail from researching other sales of this guitar(one in bad shape sold from guitar center for $1800, I believe retail it should go for $22,000 to $24,000. I mentioned the prices to the vintage guitar show and was told this price is reasonable for a retail sell.

What I want is advice about who I should go about trying to sell it at the show, for example do I go to every booth and say hey want to buy or do I watch around with the case waiting to be approached. What warning signs should I look out for in regards to someone trying to rip me off.

In advance thank for your time. Just to show I'm View attachment 1595 View attachment 1596 View attachment 1598 no full of BS i will upload a couple photos.

2. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

Don't sell. It's a coo guitar with family history and a lot of good mojo.

theonlychrisj likes this.
  3. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

Dealers will want to make money so expect offers of 50% or less of the 'retail' prices you quoted. In the end it is worth what someone will pay for it. Be willing to spend some time selling it - have business cards so people can contact you after the show.

Historically a group from Japan scours the show looking for goodies.

Russ

JL75 and theonlychrisj like this.
  4. erictx

erictx Member

my grandfather loved to play it, he felt that when he played it in church it was praising god. It has sit in a closet for 30 years with out being played. I don't want to sell it to a dealer how just sees it as a quick buck, I want to sell it to someone that is going to play it and enjoy it and I think that is what he would have wanted.

Steve Hotra likes this.
  5. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I tried to sell a vintage 51 Nocaster Telecaster at a couple of guitar shows. I didn't take it around to all the booths, just the major dealers. If you're there long enough, the word will get around what you have and the price that you want. The dealers usually only want to give you a wholesale price because they have to make a profit when they sell it. But you may find someone who will give you close to top price if they want for their own guitar. The foreign dealers from Europe, Japan, China, etc... will usually pay the most if it's a guitar they are looking for and its all original. Vintage American guitars sell for more overseas. If a dealer buys it, it may be sold overseas anyway. If you don't want to go through the hassle of selling it, I would just do a consignment with a good honest vintage dealer where they make a percentage (10% to 15%) for selling it for you.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  6. Steve Z

Steve Z Member

Wonderful guitar and family history. Why not try and sell on the Emporium or Reverb?

7. slider

slider Member

My experience selling at a guitar show made me want to take a shower real fast when I got home. Used car dealers have a rep as being sleazy, they got nothing on guitar dealers. I hope you can find a home for it that makes you feel good about the transaction. I think you will have a lot of interest, it's a beautiful guitar.

bigstar, NewLeaf09, rickc007 and 2 others like this.
  8. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

IME dealers will offer you 60-70% of retail value (maybe less) ... A good consignment or Reverb or Emporium here may do better (?).

9. erictx

erictx Member

thanks everyone for your replies and helping me with this matter. I have dealt with dealers before and they're sharks, guitar center offered 7k for the guitar when they had one in poor shape on sale for 18k

10. erictx

erictx Member

The shop I talked to since the price of the guitar is much larger then your average guitar they sell, said he would do %10 consignment and that was out of Austin, but it could take a long time for it to sale.

11. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

Then expect to get less money and wait.
    In reality, though, what you have is an object. Unless it's an historical piece played at Woodstock by Hendrix or something, the story behind it means nothing to a buyer. And you have no say over what he does with it when you sell.
    If you truly want it to have a life like you envision, you're better off gifting it to someone who will appreciate what it is.

12. theonlychrisj

theonlychrisj Member

This. The Japanese guys LOVE blondes also (the finish, not the...well, probably that too). Our local vintage dealer has gone through quite a few blonde finish vintage fenders going this route.

You may also try to post on the Dallas CL, saying that you'll be at the show looking to sell...

13. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

14. erictx

erictx Member

I did and did the same post as here and they perm banned me as spam, wasn't trying to sell the guitar or anything just wanted input

15. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

If he does that, the guitar will probably sell before the show begins.
    If it isn't already under contract, that is. A piece that clean is going to attract attention quickly.

16. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

Didn't see this. It doesn't surprise me they banned you. One can ask about selling at shows without mentioning that it's about a clean 59 Tele with pics to prove it.

17. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

As an individual seller of used gear, in a practical and realistic sense, you are acting as a wholesaler. Chances are even at a guitar show, most buyers are looking to resell. Thus odds are offers you get will not be top of the market value but some figure that allows a reseller profit. If you do the guitar show, buy a ticket or table.or whatevet gets you in to the dealers only night and hope.for Japanese interest. The odds of you showing up and finding some player with 20 grand cash in his pocket to buy a vintage tele are slim in my view. I think your best bet is a consignment deal with Gruhn, Elderly,, Lark Street or some other reputable dealer. They have the clientele and also the reputation/goodwill to reassure folks buying vintage instruments.

dsquared likes this.
  18. dukeh62

dukeh62 Supporting Member

I agree that you're going to get MUCH less if you sell it to a dealer due to their need to mark it up. I would seriously consider trying to sell it yourself online. Perhaps even invest in a small ad in Vintage Guitar magazine?

19. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

this is a pretty accurate assessment. even if buyers are there with cash in hand they will be looking for deals. asking $2000 less than the supposed $22,000 value really isn't much of a deal per se. at a show you will have a ton of competition for anyones cash. not the way to go if you want top $.

20. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

Sharks? Haha, you want 20k and you didn't pay anything for it!

Sales to the final buyer for 90%+ of market take time, and it's tough to do at a show. Something to think about if you sell to a dealer at a show, perhaps cash and a trade may get you more money in the long run that what they offer in cash alone. Also, it's a good place to network, you may not sell it there, but the more people that know you have it, the better chance you have in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.