1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Advice from any Peavey ValveKing 212 user

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by major, Mar 29, 2008.

1. major

major Member

First post here. I recently picked up for $375 the ValveKing 212. To me its not a bad amp, though my ears seem to not like the speakers designed for it. So my question is...is it worth investing into buying 2 12" for this amp? I find the ValveKing special design speakers are harsh and ...a first-hurt my ears, even on low volume! I'm looking for a warmer, smoother kind of crunch on channel 2 , not so bitey, any ideas on type of speaker that works good with this amp. My style is prog-rock to jazz. Thanks.
    :RoCkIn

2. major

major Member

I'm surprised no one has this amp, yeah its not on the $2,000 and up list. Can anyone tell me if the Celestion V30's are a warm sounding speaker and not harsh? Any other speaker suggestions?

3. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

I have a 112. I think the original speaker sounds like a Emi V30 type speaker and didn't think it sounds harsh. I changed it because I didn't like the clean tone with it. I stuck an Emi Wizard and didn't really like that either. Then I stuck an Emi Swamp Thang in it and I really like that for cleans. However it won't do the smoother crunch You're after. I always hear that the V30 has a biting top end. The Emi Governor is supposed to be like a V30 with a smoother top end.

4. joel98z

joel98z Member

Pretty much anything is going to sounds better than the stock peavey speakers. I have a classic 50 and the blue marvels were very harsh with flabby bass. Vintage 30 will help for sure lots of midrange though..

5. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

I've got the 1x12 version and settled on an Eminence Wizard. I also tried an Eminence Governor, but didn't like it at all with the Valveking. However, it might have sounded pretty good with the two speakers mixed together. Didn't have a chance to try that out, since I only have the 1x12 version.

6. joel98z

joel98z Member

Take a look at the G12-65's as well..

7. big brekfest

big brekfest Guest

absolutely change the speakers. and think about swapping the tubes too. I did both and my 112 sounds worlds better. I went with the Eminence Texas Heat and it has a lot of bass and bite. not sure if it'd be a good pick for jazz, though. CHeck out the eminence website. they have sound clips for most of their speakers.