• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Advice from the knowledgeable acoustic folks

I have been out of the acoustic market for a while and I do not have a grasp on the quality of acoustic guitars now being produced. I am looking to buy an acoustic (I play lead electric) after not owning one for a decade. My budget is $1200. I really love j-45/50's, and I have always loved Martin 000-18s. Basically I want quality for the price. What should I look for? Any advice is welcome!

Mike R.

For that price you will probably have an easier time finding the Martin in the series you say you like.

I have owned both - the 000-18SM & a J45.

I kept the J45 fwiw.

I think the used market is going to be your friend at that price point... if you were looking for mahogany flavoured guitars it would be hard to beat a Martin, at the moment. The 00/000-15's are outstanding guitars and great value for money. The J-45's coming out of Montana are pretty good if you find one that speaks to you (I haven't, yet). If you want to move away from Gibson/Martin and just want a really good sounding acoustic at a decent price point, I'd recommend taking a look at Eastman. I don't own any, as yet, but it's only a matter of time; every time I play one in a store I am struck by the quality/price. The Eastman E20-SS is a slope-shouldered, Adirondack topped guitar that might appeal...

I think the used market is going to be your friend at that price point... if you were looking for mahogany flavoured guitars it would be hard to beat a Martin, at the moment. The 00/000-15's are outstanding guitars and great value for money. The J-45's coming out of Montana are pretty good if you find one that speaks to you (I haven't, yet). If you want to move away from Gibson/Martin and just want a really good sounding acoustic at a decent price point, I'd recommend taking a look at Eastman. I don't own any, as yet, but it's only a matter of time; every time I play one in a store I am struck by the quality/price. The Eastman E20-SS is a slope-shouldered, Adirondack topped guitar that might appeal...
I'm not stuck to any particular brand, so I'll check out the Eastman. I just want a good, solid, great sounding acoustic.

Astronaut FX

Gold Supporting Member
Elderly always has a good selection of used acoustics. If you aren't near them, I'd still say they are one of the better online dealers around. Check out their site. If you see something you like, call them; they'll be happy to pull it from the floor and answer questions. Top notch folks to deal with.

Trending Topics