Advice - getting drummer to leave a studio share

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Acid Test, May 5, 2015.

1. Acid Test

Acid Test Supporting Member

I share a very small studio space with a drummer and keyboard player but we don't play together because of the differences in our music. I am the contact with the landlord and the principle renter.

Because the studio is so small, I can only use it as a place to practice by myself. The drummer and keyboard player have enough room to add another player but there really is no room for me to add anybody because of the layout.

The drummer is bit of a difficult person and a few months ago, he went into a pissy fit when I changed the locks for an obvious security issue and then wouldn't respond to me to meet up with the new keys. His next message accused me of locking him out with some sort of intention.

The relationship has eroded further with him not sensing the need to text us other two when he is going to need the studio. He has no problem receiving our texts informing him we will occupy the studio but he doesn't reciprocate most of the time. I have told him to do so a couple of times but I am pretty sure he just goes without saying a thing. Hopefully you agree it is a courtesy to let others know so you don't drive 30 minutes to end up finding the studio occupied.

He really hasn't done anything obviously wrong but I want him out of there. Any suggestion on a decent way (somewhat humane) to let him know?

I furnished the entire studio and equipped it with everything - sound proofing, carpet, pa, mics, lighting. I was thinking about yanking out the pa to get a negative reaction then unload on him.

2. MRiley99

MRiley99 Member

I would just tell him its not working out and give him until the end of the month that he's paid for. Seems easier than moving a PA to initiate a conflict.

3. Bogner

Bogner Member

Just be up front with him and tell him the circumstances have changed and you can no longer share the space. I don't know if you had a written or verbal or any agreement. If so, comply with agreement and give a 30 day notice. If there is no agreement, give him a 2 week notice and make sure you are there for a walk through when he exits.

4. Acid Test

Both of you guys are spot on. Him and I both sort of rented it together except when it came time to pay or work with the landlord, he backed away and kept his wallet in his pocket.

I like the idea of telling him that the situation has changed and giving him notice.

5. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

Yeah, if he is using the place for free, time to get the hell out. Move his crap out side, lock the door and give him a call to pick it up. At the same time have the cops come over to observe a "suspicious individual" moving stuff out of a building.

6. ademus

ademus Member

^^^yes! Change the locks now! If he ain't paying. Well, LATER!

7. Acid Test

He is paying his share monthly. He didn't put a cent into getting the place ready to move in or any of the other things in the studio like the pa, fridge, sound proofing, carpet, paint lighting. What he would do is just wait it out until I took care of it.

Maybe this is better since it firmly places me in the driver's seat.

8. ademus

ademus Member

When you say "principle" renter. What does that mean?. Is only your name on the rental agreement?

And, as for improving the space. That's on you man.

9. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

IMHO, if you are the renter on the agreement then you call the shots. I would not give him any notice as he could easily sabotage the studio and you would be liable for fixing/paying for that. He could easily clean it out and leave you with another loss.

Change the lock and then tell him it's not working out. Refund him his pro-rated share of the last rent payment. If he and the keys player are tight, I'd think seriously about whether keeping the keys player too is a good idea, as that person might take the drummers side and help him to continue to use the studio when you aren't there. Maybe you should consider having the space as simply your own going forward or ask the keys player to get on the lease with you so that keys player is also liable if there are any issues.

It's a potentially ugly situation and you will be on the hook should things go south with the landlord's property. Sounds like you have tried to work things out with the drummer in the past and he isn't meeting you halfway on how things need to be done in a shared space. good luck!

10. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

There are a lot of musicians who will ride out the better end of a deal for as long as they can, and inertia is a powerful force. This guy realizes he's got a really good deal and he will milk it until you force his hand. He'll probably be pissed, but it will be because the gig is up and he's gotta deal with finding a new place for his kit.

I think you should be cut-and-dried about it. Set a deadline for his gear being out of the space, whether he moves it or it is moved for him. If you want to avoid personal conflict, choose your language carefully so that he might reasonably assume that it's not you making the call.

"The deal on the practice space is ending as of June 30. Everything has to be out by then. Please be sure to remove your gear before then. A new tenant is taking the space July 1." This is 100% true and more effective than "I don't think it's working out."

11. ademus

ademus Member

No. Get it over with. Change the lock, tell him to come get his **** and pro-rate his share of this months rent and pay him that. Then it's over. Why spend the rest of the month being frustrated when it could be dealt with immediately?

12. Acid Test

I ended up jumping into a second rental share with another band. I am going to ride both out for a bit to see which makes the most sense.

In the mean time, I won't have a single exchange the the drummer on anything.