Advice: Hard-Rock Pickups for my LP Standard

digband

Silver Supporting Member
Hi TGPers, I need some pickup advice, please. I have a LP Standard 2005 that I love to play, but the Burstbucker Pros aren't hot enough for me. Since I know there area a lot of personal factors here, I'm going to give you (hopefully) all the requisite info:

I mostly play hard rock through a Bogner XTC, high gain, usually drop D, 11's. Here are some clips - these are both with my PRS CU24 - so you can hear the style.
Dregs_clip.mp3
Nebulas.mp3

1) I'm looking for higher gain in the LP something closer to the output of the stock PRS (ceramic HFS Treble 15-16 I think)
2) Also, looking for a little tighter bass response so things aren't too mushy and plenty of mid.

Please suggest some pickups for me. I'm open to any brand/model/magnet-type etc. as long as it's a humbucker obviously, I have no allegiance but to the tone (have been researching several options but I want unbiased feedback - may change my stock PRS pups too).

bkatx

In the Gibson pickup family I really like the 496R and 500T in my Explorer. I also have an LP with 490/498 and it does hard rock / metal well too. Cleans not so much, but for the harder stuff they are great.

SFW

I run a Duncan Custom in one of my Les Pauls and a Slash set in the other. I don't have a problem getting good gain tones out of either.

Here's the slash set

Tonaholic

HFS is a vintage style ceramic higher output pickup. Duncan Custom, Dimarzio Super or something like that. I've found the 36th can rock damn hard for a paf. Transitions are beefed up 36th...

Stratburst70

I used to have a Les Paul Studio that I tuned to D and ran through a Marshall DSL100 for hard rock. I had a 59/JB set in it and it roared, especially in band settings. Highly recommended.

digband

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the feedback... will be researching these options... keep the suggestions coming!

chrisrocksusa

I put a duncan distortion in my standard. It rocks as hard as I need it to, but isn't overkill for cleaner stuff. It's great

silentbob

I disagree that you need a hot pickup, you can get those tones without a hotter pickup. That said, you would probably be happy with a Duncan Custom or custom 5.

digband

Silver Supporting Member
I disagree that you need a hot pickup, you can get those tones without a hotter pickup. That said, you would probably be happy with a Duncan Custom or custom 5.
The tone with the LP and BB Pros is actually really good, but the lower output pups lacks the kind of sustain and general responsiveness I get with the higher output pups in the PRS... thanks for the Duncan custom suggestions... checking them out...

shredtrash

Gold Supporting Member
I always liked the Duncan JB for hard rock stuff. Rio Grande makes killer stuff as well.

digband

Silver Supporting Member
another vote for the 498T
I'm definitely checking out the WCR, Duncans and some others but I'm considering staying in the Gibson family so I'm curious...

Does anyone have any opinions between the 498T and the 500T? Obviously it's alnico vs ceramic and 500 is slightly hotter, but those of you who suggest the 498, did you ever try the 500 and prefer the 498 for reasons?

I have an A/B comparison right now between ceramics and alnico with my PRS/LP, but I'm curious what it is about the tonal differences that you guys prefer one over the other ceramic/alnico?

ixnay

The 500T is the one Gibson pickup that comes out of the guitar immediately for me. I've tried them in LP Classics, Vs, Explorers, etc. and they all sounded horrible.

On the other hand, I like the 498T, although I know there are those who don't...

Hard to go wrong with a Dimarzio Super Distortion in a LP.

bkatx

Does anyone have any opinions between the 498T and the 500T? Obviously it's alnico vs ceramic and 500 is slightly hotter, but those of you who suggest the 498, did you ever try the 500 and prefer the 498 for reasons?
There are a lot of people who can't stand the 500T. But whenever I play my Explorer it always puts a smile on my face. I don't know if it's the pickups or maybe I just got lucky with a really good sounding guitar. After playing it I always wonder why so many people hate the 500. But I don't play that guitar clean at all so YMMV

Also check out the Super Distortion, JB and AT-1. I've had good luck with them all.