Advice...Les Paul Classic

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by KeithC, Sep 2, 2006.

1. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

I am looking at a Les Paul Classic for what seems to be a fair price with case.

I know they have the ceramic pups but they do have the maple top and binding etc.

Assuming it isn't a dud or lemon what's the thoughts on the Classic?
    I believe I owned a black one back in the day but had quite a few and can't remember. If it is the one I am thinking of I like it.

Thanks for any thoughts! :AOK

2. Rich

Rich Member

Slimmer necks, like the 60's profile. I had a couple from mid-90s and they had just every bit as good woods as Standards did at the time.

As you've said, they have ceramics. To many of us, they suck-- overpowered and harsh. Easy enuf to switch.

Another potential negative are the inlays. For several years they were "aged" and looked ok. Then they switched to this really sick green aging and looked horrible. The most current, I dont know about.

They came in 3 top versions plus bullion gold-- standard tops, plus tops and premium plus tops. Somewheres along the line, they dropped either the plus or the pp-- can't remember.

Also did a couple of Custom Shop runs-- an all mahogany and a black top both with zebras come to mind.

Some are thought to be more desirable than others-- in the very beginning the headstock read LP Model, not LP Classic. These also had the narrower binding in the cutaway. Personally, not worth a premium to me, but to some folk they are. I believe the story goes they were too close to the CS Historic '60 Reissue for comfort, so Gibby made these minor tweaks.

If you really want a lowdown, check over at the LPF.

3. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

Good rundown, Rich.

I've played a number of classics that were great. My main complaint is the pups, but I even switched out the burstbuckers in my standard for '57 classics, which are fantastic.

If the price is good, and you're into it, go for it.

4. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

The most desirable years for Classics were '90-'92. They, in most ways, were considered by many LP fans to be the most vintage correct (inlays, body/binding, etc.), even more so than Stds. of the time, which is why they changed the Classics later. The woods then were superior as well. If you can find a nice one from that era at a good price, grab it. They will most likely appreciate in value as time goes on. BTW...a pickup change (I went with SD '59s in mine...huge difference!) will still make a favorable difference. The LP Forum has lots of data on this. AC

5. gbdweller

gbdweller Member

I have a '95 classic and absolutely love it. The only flaw was an improperly cut 'b' slot at the nut. Once I squared that away the guitar was perfect. It has also survived some pretty heavy gigging over the years. The point on the inlays is true. Mine have a nice mellowed look but the newer ones are very yellow/green looking. BTW, I hate the '1960' stamped on the pickguard but that was easily swapped out.

6. KeithC

Thanks for all the input. This is a newer one and it does have some pretty greenish looking inlays.
    That in itself wouldn't deter me. I think it is an early 2000's model year.
    I'll keep scrutinizing!

7. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I had a classic. 2000 model. I sold it to buy a PRS, but it really was a great guitar. I really liked the 500T bridge pup, it was pretty roudy sounding. I took the 496R out and put in a 57 because it overpowered the bridge.

The biggest thing with the pups is the mags. They really aren't that hot winding wise. The pickup reads less than 9K. I still have the 496R, changed the mag to an Alnico II and put it in a strat (neck). It's really sweet sounding now. Change the mags ($2-4 a piece) and it might be perfect.

Overall, it was really a great guitar.

8. rbisherw

rbisherw Guest

Newer Classics have 2 piece bodies. To some folks this is real important.
    If the one you are looking at is a 2001 it should be a 1 piece body.

9. theirflowers21

theirflowers21 Member

I have a 2000 model, and I really like it. I have actually grown fond of the icky grean inlays, haha. I did put Seymour Duncan Seth Lover pickups in it and that was a very big improvement in sound, imho.

10. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

I had an '04 Classic that was pretty nice....I replaced the stock pickups with the WCR Crossroads/Darkburst set and the sound was amazing.....if you can accept the green inlays, I would highly recommend the Classic....you will save a few dollars (over the Standard and the Reissues) and you will have a quality LP.....

..as a side note.....there are a few threads on the Les Paul Forum that discuss ways of 'fading' the inlays so that they are more traditional looking....

11. KeithC

I decided to go ahead and get it. If I don't like the pups I will teach myself how to change them and get some Alnico HB's for it.
    I change out the pups in my Strats all the time but the Les Paul pickup change will be a new one for me!

Thanks for all the great advice and input :AOK

12. 1959burst

1959burst boogieman

since i'm spoiled with vintage pauls, since the historic line came out i won't play reg production pauls, to me there is that much of a difference.:AOK

13. Voxy Foxy

Voxy Foxy Member

I've got a classic goldtop.

Great guitar, I really love it, but the pickups definitely have to go.

The neck on mine is one of my favorite 60's necks I've played, but I'm going to have to agree that the urine-colored inlays need to be changed...:jo

14. KeithC

Yes, but is it vintage correct urine color? ;)

I'm sure in the near future I'll be soliciting advice on the pup change!

15. lbw

lbw Member

The neck pickup on the Classic isn't too bad. It's actually quite good for that modern neck pickup shred solo style thing. I don't like the bridge pickup much. I swapped one out on a Les Paul for a 490T. I find the 496R and 490T combination to be quite good.

16. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Try changing the magnets. You might really like them then and it will be uniqe.

17. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I've been playing one in an Atlanta store for the past couple of weeks. The store clerk said it's most likely a 94, but maybe earlier. The previous owner switched the stock buckers for a Fralin set, and it sounds just magical! We opened the case, and found the Fralin box for one of the pickups. The reading as listed on the box is 9k.

Oh yeah, don't bother looking for it - it's not there anymore! ;) :AOK :dude

18. KeithC

I'll keep the Fralins in mind if I get to that point. I loved the Real 54 Strat pups for sure.
    Congrats on getting your LP! :AOK

19. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

Speaking of classics in the '90-'92 timeframe, my local store is selling a '91 for $1399. Do you think this price is unreasonable? There's only a slight amount of wear on the back, but it looks nice. I haven't gotten a chance to play it, so who knows if it's a dud or if it's magical.

What do ya'll think?

20. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

If it's in nice overall condition, it's a great price. It's certainly among the 'collectable' years for a Classic, but it would be important to note whether all the original hardware is intact. And as you said, playing it should reveal any mojo or lack thereof. Good luck. AC