Advice needed: Best way to file down fret ends that stick out?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by r9player, Feb 15, 2009.

1. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Hey everyone, I have a great sounding guitar but the frets on the neck stick out a tat. What is the best way to file these down without filing into the neck or fretboard?
    What tools are best for this?
    Thanks!

2. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

This could be because of the dry winter months and it may go away when the humidity returns, or you could try putting it in a higher humidity enviroment for a few days to see if it returns to normal. For just the fret tangs sticking out I use a small smooth file followed by 600 and up sandpaper, then buff. If the fret ends are also sticking out they may have to be filed to the edge and the ends smoothed up. My advice to start is put it in at least a 50% humidity level for a few days and see if gets better, then you can do what you have to if that doesn't work. Some people prefer to file the ends while the humidity is low so they want stickout in the next low humidity condition.

3. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

ive always just used an emery board, but i never knew about the humidity factors

4. XSSIVE

XSSIVE D'Avanzo Guitars Vendor

5. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Carefully?

Seriously though - first thing to do is get your guitar rehydrated. That may take care of the problem!

--chiba

6. K-man

K-man Member

I just did this on my strat and tele. It wasn't a big deal for me because both necks are finished in tru oil. I used a flat mill file to file them flush, then I rounded and polished the fret ends. It did take a little of the finish off, but I just wiped on a fresh coat of tru oil and it blended in perfectly.

If your neck is lacquered I would take it to a luthier.