Advice needed from Zendrive & Kalamazoo owners

davidtobin100

Hey guys - hoping some friendly Lovepedal owners can help me out.

I'm new enough to tube amps and looking for some advice about pairing overdrives to my amp. I'm playing through a Fender Special edition HRD3 that has a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker in it. I currently use the most recent iteration of the Fulltone OCD for my "full-on" OD and the drive channel of the HRD for my milder OD. Generally the volume of my clean channel is somewhere between 3 and 4 and is more than enough for a full band situation.

I'm considering adding a pedal to my rig to replace the mild OD that I'm using on the drive channel as I'm not 100% satisfied with it. I generally have the gain/drive set very low and the master volume higher to compensate.

What I'm wondering is would either the Zendrive or Kalamazoo do the "edge of breakup" sound I'm looking for better? I find my current sound to lack a certain smoothness and I'm wondering would either of these pedals do that for me?

Here's a link to some of the stuff I'm playing at the moment if anyone's interested:
https://soundcloud.com/zombiepicnic

mannyprieto

Hey man,

I think either of those pedals would do what you're asking. I personally have been using the Kalamazoo (Chrome) since it came out. I've used it as my medium OD, then it was my heavy OD, and currently I'm using it as an edge of break up OD. I love it. It does all of these things well, but it just adds so much body when set as a lighter OD that it blows me away. Give it a try! I don't think you'll be disappointed!

davidtobin100

Thanks for the advice Manny. I was leaning towards that one alright. I've heard the Zendrive isn't as effective at the volumes I'm pushing the pre-amp tubes at.

Trending Topics