Advice Needed - Laney Cubs vs Laney Lionheart vs Vox Night Train Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by yell03, Feb 7, 2015.

1. yell03

yell03 Member

I currently have a Laney Cub 12R, nice little amp, good power for the size.
    I use it with a MXR M75 distortion, TS808 overdrive, and a TC Flashback delay.

I mainly play at home with the occasional jam out and small bar gig once in a blue moon.

I have owned Buddas (SD18 and SD45), but they were useless at home, way too loud.

Lately a few amps have caught my eye....

The Laney Cub 10 (has 6v6 tubes instead of el84s) - would be a cool 2nd tube amp

The Laney Lionheart 5w 1x12 combo (bit expensive) - I hear they are amazing amps and actually loud enough for small gigs

Vox Night Train G2 combo - has a lot of features for the $$$, 2 channels, reverb, loop, but when choosing an amp, tone is most important, how is the tone?

The Lionheart is a bank breaker, is it really that much better?

The Laney Cub12R and the Laney Cub 10 would keep me interested by giving me two different tones, but is quantity better than the quality of the Lionheart?

The Night Train combo give a ton of bang for the buck, but does it sound at least as good as the Laney Cubs?

The only amp I might be able to go try out locally is the Vox.

Advice and opinions would be much appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

The differences in the cub and lionheart is basically the power sections.They run off of the same preamps for the most part with the added clean cannel.The cub is tighter while the lionheart is a lot looser more of a vintage vibe. I realy like both amps actually but I wouldn't buy anything smaller than the 20. Id also avoid th night train. I played it years ago. It didn't strike me as Vox or sounded that great.

3. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I love my Laney Cub 10 and my Vox TB18C1. But, I'm really a 6V6 guy.

[​IMG]

4. yell03

yell03 Member

Looks like the Vox is not the amp and that a Laney Cub 10 would be a fun addition to the family.