advice needed - speaker for my Valve Junior head.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Lution, May 13, 2006.

1. Lution

Lution Member

Just picked up a Valve Junior Head. What a cool piece. Switched the tubes to an NOS Russian military EL84M and a Tung Sol 12ax7. Very sweet, but a little dark sounding with my humbuckers.

I'm looking for a 1x12 cab and speaker for it that I can share with my Fargen Blackbird 40 combo from time to time.

My speaker shortlist:

Hellatone 30
    Eminence Wizard
    Eminence Cannabis Rex

What would help this valve junior with it's dark character, but still work well with my Blackbird?

thanks

-Lution

2. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

I'm a bit in the dark here, so it is hard to recommend a speaker. What speaker does the Black Bird have in it???Of the three you have suggested, I would lean towards the Wizard or the Hellatone which will have more top than the Em.Can., but would you be able to use those with the FBB...One other thought...do you have some sort of treble boost pedal or EQ pedal you could put in front of the VJH when using the HB equiped guitar???
    BZT

3. xStonr

xStonr Member

How do you like the NOS EL 84M. I just got one for my Epi VJ but haven't popped it in yet. I understand there is a short burn in period required. Anyway, I did change my preamp tube to a GE JAN 5751 which brightened the amp up for me.

4. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

I picked up a ceramic Weber Blue Dog 30w in an open back cab and it sounds great. I have an 80's Russian Military EL84 and a JJ ECC83S in my EPi Jr head.

My favorite of my cabs so far is a 4x12 Marshall cab with blackback 25 watters. It sounded real good with a Genz GFlex 212 and a 4x10 vintage Carvin cab, but with 2 Rajun Cajuns mixed in. A Vintage 30 4x12 I have was good but not the fave.

5. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

I use mine with a 4x12 loaded with G12-M70's. Just let it warm up for a 1/2 hour & it sound great! Not too dark at all IMHO.

6. Matt H

Matt H Guest

for a 12'er, i'd consider the red fang- it's a few bucks more, but it sings with the valve jr.

the g12h30 (or hellatone30, i suppose) is also a really nice match- but I like the upper-mid profile of the red fang a little bit better with the valve jr. it's possible that the wizard would maybe be more in line than the g12h30, but i don't have one, so i can't say.

fwiw, i've also played the valve jr through a ramrod (10") and a big ben (15") and it kicks butt through both of those- so i suspect any kind of brit-styled speaker will probably sound pretty good. I'd shy away from the cannabis rex though, as that's known to be a smooth speaker for taming overly bright amps. (i.e. kicks butt wtih things like fender twins)

7. Lution

Lution Member

first, I have to say... god, it's great that TGP is back!!! :AOK

ok... so I have a Weber Blue Dog 50 watter and she really sings nice. Good organic juicy upper-mids and highs. Just a touch farty on the bass end, but not that bad. I'd just like to give my tubes a rest from time to time and plug my Blackbird into an ext. cab which would serve as the main cab for my VJ. I think I'd have to bring down the treble a bit on my BB if I go with a trebly speaker. no problem if so. I don't own a treble-boost pedal. Any good cheap ones?

I really like it. I just let it warm up for about 30 minutes before I plug in. It gave me some nice harmonics. When I hit my VJ now with my DDSS pedal, it's got such sweet harmonic feedback, it kills!!

That is nice. It would match the grillcloth on Fargen like woah! Kind of pricey yes!

Thanks guys about steering me away from the Cannabis Rex. Too mellow for the VJ.

:D

8. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

9. xStonr

xStonr Member

10. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

11. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I'd go with a Weber F150T. Great all around speaker with a nice bright tone until pushed hard. Get it in the 50 watt version.

12. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

SoCalSteve, those are my clips! My other moniker name is InstituteofNoise.

I picked up a Scumbag H75 this weekend from Jim Sevall. I have to say this speaker is one of the best, if not THE best, I've tried with the Epi Valve Jr Head. Obviously a hair cleaner and more bottom end than the greenback, but over all I think this one has a bit more versatility.

13. xStonr

xStonr Member

After a few days of playing with the new tubes, I swithched out the pre amp tube, the GE Jan 5751, to a Electro Harminex 12ax7EH tube I had laying around. I found the GE Jan to not have enough gain for my taste. It's great if you want to play clean, but I had to crank the volume up to 3 o'clock before I got some breakup. So now I'm thinking about the TungSol 12ax7 or JJ ECC83S.