Advice Needed: Vintage 1969 Fender Strat

colinesquire

Thanks! I may attempt a better picture of the frets.
As you are looking at repair techs-if it needs a refret be sure they have worked in vintage fenders before. The frets were pushed in sideways (not pressed down like other brands) and need to be removed by pushing out. If pulled up like normally done you will get major fretboard chipping. Crucial!

buddyboy69

I'd start with a level and crown. Looks like the tops are flat. Seen that before on old guitars. They would level them but not crown before sending it out. Depends on any neck twist or bow and if the frets are too low. It looks basically unplayed.

bandmaster

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. This is certainly a guitar that I will be keeping as it is quite sentimental and has cool family provenance for me. So a refret may be in order at some point.

I would love to find someone in SC that could do the job, however I am open to shipping it to the right person.

Do you have any recommendation?

*Edit* Just saw that you offer vintage guitar work. Here comes another PM

You will be in good hands with Holger (Hogy)

woof*

With a guitar that nice, I would do some research to find a recognized and reputable expert for any work you decide to have done. And change nothing about the guitar that doesn't absolutely need changing. That's a holy grail axe.
This

Dashface

The more pics you post of it the more it’s clear that it is in way better shape than you thought. I’ve had more hardware tarnish on guitars from the 90s :D

As I mentioned before, the absolute key to a guitar like that is to do the bare minimum. Get it playing, and that’s it.

joelster

Silver Supporting Member
That guitar looks great! It looks pretty clean under the pickguard to me. A little corrosion is no big deal. I'd hit the switch and the pots with some de-oxit and see if that helps. If the pots turn and the switch moves the issue is probably minor.

Why do you think it needs a fret job?

woof*

This is certainly what I am leaning towards. I want for it to be brought back to life as best as possible, as I intend to play this guitar a great deal.
Hogy has been around forever and does impeccable work. Just as important, he knows vintage guitars. If it was mine I’d have him refret it with Dunlop 6000’s and clean up the electronics.
That is going to be a killer guitar when it’s finished.

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
Great looking Strat!

I shipped my '64 to Hogy for a refret. The fretwork and setup are outstanding and he had it back to me in a couple weeks. Highly recommended!

And Hogy is right about FedEX and UPS insurance. Read the fine print, they only pay replacement value for a new instrument. They do not insure collectables at their collectable value regardless of what you declare the value. I have mine insured trough a rider on my homeowners insurance for the appraised value. That policy covers it for everything short of nuclear war.

Hugh Honey

The more pics you post of it the more it’s clear that it is in way better shape than you thought. I’ve had more hardware tarnish on guitars from the 90s :D

As I mentioned before, the absolute key to a guitar like that is to do the bare minimum. Get it playing, and that’s it.

I’m going to get some better pics up in the morning.

and I agree about just doing the minimum.

Hugh Honey

That guitar looks great! It looks pretty clean under the pickguard to me. A little corrosion is no big deal. I'd hit the switch and the pots with some de-oxit and see if that helps. If the pots turn and the switch moves the issue is probably minor.

Why do you think it needs a fret job?

The corrosion underneath by the controls looks like the top of an old car battery, but I’m sure it can be sorted out.

In person the frets are flat and worn way down. I don’t think my picture accurately reflects their condition.

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
In person the frets are flat and worn way down. I don’t think my picture accurately reflects their condition.

That’s the way the frets were on my ‘64. The guitar actually played well, but it had been crowned at least once, and maybe twice. The frets were really flat and low. There was not a lot of fret left and it was a challenge to bend up high on the neck. I had Hogy put on some larger frets, Jescar 51100, and couldn’t be happier with it.

ToneBenderz

There are many collectors that would purchase it for top dollar especially if its 100% without any touch ups (solder). I would take the ashtray off and get the tremelo arm back in the pocket so they don't rattle and ding her up anymore. The advice of taking it to a Vintage expert is solid and i would suggest having it documented/appraised without repair first to know what your options are. Value is subjective but having a vintage instrument with no repairs or modifications is key for getting top dollar.

Hugh Honey

That’s the way the frets were on my ‘64. The guitar actually played well, but it had been crowned at least once, and maybe twice. The frets were really flat and low. There was not a lot of fret left and it was a challenge to bend up high on the neck. I had Hogy put on some larger frets, Jescar 51100, and couldn’t be happier with it.

This is exactly the direction that I’m leaning.

Top Bottom